is post reliable?
Posted: 19 October 2010 12:41 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2010-01-28

What’s the postal service like in Spain? I’ve heard reports that it’s not very efficient and don;t count on stuff arriving but can it really be that bad?

Posted: 22 October 2010 09:16 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-06-22

I’ve had plenty of very bad and very good experiences. Its certainly not all bad. I’m not sure how much stuff has never arrived, the odd thing maybe, but luckily nothing important. Sadly having had a few bad experiences I am cautious and send most things registered (certificado), and sometimes I use a private courier like MRW.

To be fair you can’t ever count 100% on any service - that’s why its worth insuring if something is important and valuable. Years ago I worked in a courier company and realised that mistakes happen everywhere.

Signature 

Architects and Eco Construction, Malaga, Marbella, Granada ..
http://www.ecovidainternational.com

Posted: 14 November 2010 06:39 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2007-09-24

For what its worth many people - us included - find it’s well worthwhile the extra costs of a private mailbox, as it appears that the final stage of local delivery (ie finding your house) may well be the weak link in the chain.  Make sure you choose one that will sign for deliveries that require it, and remember you can list the box number as something like a room or dept number, eg if ordering a delivery from a company that ‘won’t deliver to a PO box’,

BDP x

Signature 

http://www.costaconnected.com

Posted: 20 November 2010 12:09 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-11-20

if your posting from spain elsewhere be careful of the national post! we posted a cheque to our assurance firm in france for our french house insurance, the cheque was intercepted and cashed somewhere in spain, we are still trying to sort the mess out, but, it seems some postal worker has taken the cheque!  the post is also very very slow to go or come, not like the uk 😉

Posted: 20 November 2010 03:40 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2010-01-28
visumgroup - 20 November 2010 12:09 AM

if your posting from spain elsewhere be careful of the national post! we posted a cheque to our assurance firm in france for our french house insurance, the cheque was intercepted and cashed somewhere in spain, we are still trying to sort the mess out, but, it seems some postal worker has taken the cheque!  the post is also very very slow to go or come, not like the uk 😉

What’s a cheque? 😉
Heheh, point taken.
Seems reliable so far although Mas Movil SIM hasn;t arrived - whether that is the post or Mas Movil I don;t know 😊

Posted: 07 December 2010 01:42 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Thankfully (to date), I have had nothing go missing between here and the UK. Although it does take longer to arrive via Correos
(10 days there compared with 3 - 5 getting here from my family members).

I have had gifts/cards go missing from UK and USA to here… Even though I take the precaution of having a PO Box (otherwise I wouldn’t get my mail anyway being in the campo!)...

From time to time I use the Offex postal system for sending letters to UK. Just a little bit more expensive than Sp postal system, but have never had anything go missing, and it is a whole lot quicker!

Although we have mail boxes at a communual point in our area, mail never arrives as the postie just chucks it in the bushes (yes, we have seen them dispose of it rather than deliver it to its delivery point!)

Fuengirola is no 2 for unsorted lost items, Estepona no 1!!
Thankfully our mail comes straight to our sub district post office in the Pueblo and by passes Fuengirola.

Mixed experiences, but generally OK since I stick to using local PO in village.

Posted: 23 December 2010 12:07 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-11-01

You should try Offex. Nothing like any other postal service. They are fast in sending multiple items and they do have english speaking people! A plus if you have a hard time communicating in spanish.