Cost of Living in Spain, please add your knowledge!
Posted: 17 February 2012 10:45 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-08-05

Here’s what I’m hoping for…

Please take a moment or two to add your ‘2 cents’ to the Spain costs overview on this site: Numbeo.com. (can’t post the link since I’m new 😊  but it’s what you think it’d be…)

It’d help us tremendously…an accurate budget means we can eat.  lol

(We’re turning in our Spain retirement visa application tomorrow.)

Thank you!

Posted: 17 February 2012 05:41 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Hello:

I believe an accurate budget means having more money than you THINK you might need! 
You don’t give many details…

A lot depends on where in Spain you will be living: out in the sticks or somewhere on the southern coast, or in a large city.  I am assuming you are buying a property, or…..are you renting?
At the moment it is a good idea to rent first, see how you like it and then buy in a year’s time, when you have had time to decide what you like and where you like.
If you own a property you have to factor in monthly maintenance costs, (rates/council tax, condominium service charges, (known here as cuotas de comunidad), electricity, water, contingencies, possible repairs, insurance(health insurance and so on), transport, the possibility of going out to dine now and then, short breaks to other parts of the country or to the rest of Europe…..
My own view is that you would need at least 1.500 euro per month, probably closer to ?2000.

All the best
Campana

Posted: 25 February 2012 11:42 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

See other threads concerning this.  Do a search?  I made a detailed list sometime last year for someone who is thinking of moving over, and in same situation - they need to know before they make the leap.

Basically, follow the guideline, add a bit more, make sure you have enough coming in, and thensome in the bank!