Spain Inheritance Tax questions
Posted: 04 March 2012 10:34 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-02-28

Hi,

I’m an american in the process of becoming a spanish citizen and was wondering how the inheritance tax works in spain? I’m going to inherit real estate from my parents eventually but it’s in the united states, do i have to pay the inheritance tax in spain on real estate i inherit in the USA? Some information would be great, it seems the majority of websites say unless it’s spanish real estate you have nothing to worry about but others say if you inherit anything and you’re a resident of spain it applies to you, some info would be a big help.

Posted: 26 March 2012 09:15 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2007-07-25

Hi

I have a friend who is having a similar issue, however, I have come to learn alot about Spanish Inheritance tax. You should not have to pay inheritance tax here in Spain for property in the USA - you would pay it in the country of the property, whatever the taxation amount is - it gets very complicated but in Andalucia you get more tax relief than if you were in Madrid. Are you a Spanish resident? This also makes a big difference to the amount you have to pay. Also, do you have a will, this also implicates a lot in Spain should you not have one!

I say this because I am a British citizen and only pay inheritance tax in 1 country, which is Spain, not the UK

Spain do have a 5 year tax ruling - if you do not declare within 5 years it becomes tax free!

Simone

Signature 

Scoliosis Support Network
Online Gaming Jobs