1 of 2
Simple Tax Question re Spain
Posted: 06 September 2012 03:32 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2011-09-15

Hi Everyone,

Understand there is liability for Spanish income tax on worldwide assets if one spends >6 months in country during any financial year.

Simple question - how does Government know/determine if a person spends > 6 months in country ??

Cheers,

Andrea

Posted: 06 September 2012 10:34 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Simple answer -

Potentially they don’t - mind you to a certain extent that might depend on how you enter the country and what you get up too.

But let’s get one thing clear - times are hard for all governments and they are working hard to ensure that we all declare somewhere for tax (and there are benefits) so if you don’t declare here then you will need to elsewhere…......you can run but can’t hide.

Or at least that’s what I think…...........

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 07 September 2012 07:37 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-15

It was just a simple academic question ie with great respect no intention to run/hide from anything since everyone clearly has a moral obligation to pay some tax !!

Posted: 07 September 2012 02:37 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

the spanish many ask you to prove where you have been .... , becarful if proved the wrong info ... you get tax two the hills ....

Posted: 12 October 2012 11:35 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Andrea, I am happy to put forward our local tax advisor (Coin) if you end up in our neck of the woods.
She has a very good grasp of the UK system too.
Basically as long as you make a tax declaration somewhere/pay something.. (and you are not in the upper tax bracket?)
you will be left alone…

As for ‘how do they know’...
Let’s just say you move here full tim and register as resident (please bear in mind new stricter requirements that you either have to have a job here, or prove you have Eu6,000 per person per annum to support yourself, plus private medical insurance if you do not qualify for state cover)... Then they will know you are here year round and should be submitting an annual tax return.

Things are getting quite bad here as you can imagine. The authorities are squeezing every cent out of anyone they can get their hands on. (So even if one has not been submitting the required tax return annualy.. they might just come knocking on people’s doors!!!) 

hope this helps.. PM me as usuall for any more specific info….

Posted: 12 October 2012 11:36 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

PS… Interesting point a friend put forward (who has a ‘holiday apartment’ here, but has not registered as a resident)..
She goes through the electronic immigration at Malaga and Gatwick - often…
She is getting worried they will cross reference the dates…
But I know no more on this, and would be interested to hear any facts on this…

Posted: 13 October 2012 08:24 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-15

Thanks Susan.

We certainly intend to abide by the law & not take any short cuts.

Cheers,

Andrea

susanspain - 12 October 2012 11:35 PM

Andrea, I am happy to put forward our local tax advisor (Coin) if you end up in our neck of the woods.
She has a very good grasp of the UK system too.
Basically as long as you make a tax declaration somewhere/pay something.. (and you are not in the upper tax bracket?)
you will be left alone…

As for ‘how do they know’...
Let’s just say you move here full tim and register as resident (please bear in mind new stricter requirements that you either have to have a job here, or prove you have Eu6,000 per person per annum to support yourself, plus private medical insurance if you do not qualify for state cover)... Then they will know you are here year round and should be submitting an annual tax return.

Things are getting quite bad here as you can imagine. The authorities are squeezing every cent out of anyone they can get their hands on. (So even if one has not been submitting the required tax return annualy.. they might just come knocking on people’s doors!!!) 

hope this helps.. PM me as usuall for any more specific info….

Posted: 13 October 2012 06:12 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

susan…

She goes through the electronic immigration at Malaga and Gatwick - often?
She is getting worried they will cross reference the dates?

That a damn good point… my OH returns to the UK frequently, using AGP as a departure point and entering the UK via SOU or LGW and one has to wonder just what information is collected and collated by the electronic passports. My own gut feeling is that although the technology exists to do so they aren’t actually recording / collecting / collating passport information yet but the time will come in the not too distant future when ones every move is recorded somewhere. The problem then becomes one of personal data security. Already information held by DVLA and many NHS authorities is available at a price. As I said its just a gut feeling but I suspect that the passport readers at UK airports are just that, readers not recorders. I could be wrong… we need a mole!

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 16 October 2012 02:52 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

^ FB.. ‘Like’ 😉

Posted: 16 October 2012 04:49 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

LOL Andrea 007. 
Look what your simple academic question led to!!!

How can you frighten people like this?!

LMAO

Posted: 16 October 2012 05:18 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

This is actually a great question and one I’ve considered often for various circumstances in various countries (I’ll say no more about why).

FB’s post is probably the most accurate and oh how I wish we had a mole to verify our theories too! The thing is that, at this point, there’s a separation of private data between Immigration and the Tax Man/Woman in nearly every western nation. The fact that the data exists is something else; if they are going to mine that data or use it to flag us for tax collection it would almost certainly be a violation of privacy, and the reverse would be true as well. So, right now each agency will still go by what you tell/show them (I think).

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 16 October 2012 08:36 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

According to the UK Borders Agency the UK Passport microchip / RFID contains the same information as that between the arrows in the machine readable portion of the ID page of the passport, and a digital facial features algorithm based on the photograph on the ID. When one uses the automated Entry machines at airports and other points of entry, the information contained within the digitised photograph is compared with the image seen by the camera into which one has to look. If the information read by the camera agrees with that in the chip on the passport the entry doors will open.

In Schengen signatory countries a digited fingerprint is also recorded into the chip. The UK, not being a Shengen signatory does not require this information to be included in its electronic biometric passport.

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 16 October 2012 11:45 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

biometric passport, also known as an e-passport, ePassport or a digital passport, the USA look for it entered the United States .
but biometric passport been used in lot and the European Union do used and been give out since 2003 .
near all passport be give out are biometric passport .... Now , but list of place looking for it are growthing

UK will be looking for biometric passport but date still has not been sayed ..

Posted: 17 October 2012 03:48 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

I remember a friend (another frequent ‘in and outer;) ‘)  signed up for the Iris scheme when it was in place. But I see they have removed it from Gatwick. (And possibly other places of entry?) 
Is the biometric taking over fully in time? (And if yes, back to that Q of ‘Do they record/match up all info gathered at entry point?’)

Posted: 17 October 2012 05:02 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-15

Sorry for all the trouble & distress I have caused here !!

Campana - 16 October 2012 04:49 PM

LOL Andrea 007. 
Look what your simple academic question led to!!!

How can you frighten people like this?!

LMAO

Posted: 17 October 2012 06:26 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

LOL Andrea007

Now where did I hear that the Irish airports are hiring aliens (aka extraterrestrials) to act as immigration officers.  No need for all that expensive bio-what(?) equipment.  These guys will just look at you and read/store everything about you since birth….heh heh

1 2 > 
1 of 2