APPLYING for CITIZENSHIP
Posted: 04 February 2012 02:23 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-02-03

Hi everyone,

I am from the Philippines and would like to apply for citizenship in Spain. I know that since we were once colonized by Spain, we have the privilege to apply for citizenship after only two years living in Spain (unlike others that require 10 years).

My question is, does those two years mean living there continuously? Or does it mean I can still travel back and forth to the Philippines and Spain can consider the accumulative amount of time I stayed in Spain while I’ve been traveling?

I would appreciate any help and insight on this topic.

Thanks,

Lia

Posted: 04 February 2012 03:02 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30

Hi everyone,

I am from the Philippines and would like to apply for citizenship in Spain. I know that since we were once colonized by Spain, we have the privilege to apply for citizenship after only two years living in Spain (unlike others that require 10 years).

not exactly. two years of legal residence. that means having a residence card.

My question is, does those two years mean living there continuously? Or does it mean I can still travel back and forth to the Philippines and Spain can consider the accumulative amount of time I stayed in Spain while I’ve been traveling?

the residence card expires after a period of absence in spain.  the first residence card is valid for a year and you have to renew it before it expires. if it is renewed, it expires after two years. so after accumulating 2 years you can apply but you have to submit other requirements such as means of livelihood in spain, knowledge of spanish, address in spain, etc. you can travel outside spain for holidays of course. a residency means residing more or less permanently. you either have to be working legally or receiving a specified amount from outside spain to support yourself. while waiting for your citizenship, you have to have legal status in spain because the police will call sometime after your application to interview you again.

Posted: 20 March 2012 11:05 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-03-19

MANY FILIPINOS ARE APPLYING FOR CITIZENSHIP IN SPAIN. YOU HAVE VARIOUS OPTIONS:
1. YOU CAN OPT FOR SPANISH NATIONALITY IF YOUR GRANDMOTHER WAS SPANISH AND LEFT SPAIN DURING THE PRESCRIBED CIRCUMSTANCES OF THE LEY MEMORIA HISTORICA. YOU WILL NEED TO SUBMIT PROOF OF YOUR GRAND MOTHER’S SPANISH NATIONALITY, TRANSMITTED TO YOUR FATHER, TRANSMITTED TO YOU, A KNOWLEDGE OF SPANISH,A STATEMENT OF FIDELITY TO THE KING AND CONSTITUTION, YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE, YOUR PASSPORT, YOUR PARENTS’ MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE AND BIRTH CERTIFICATES AS WELL. THEY MUST BE BORN SPANISH.

2. YOU CAN RESIDE IN SPAIN FOR A MINIMUM OF 2 YEARS IF YOU ARE NOT SPANISH BY HEART. 1 YEAR IS SUFFICIENT FOR THOSE WHO ARE SPANISH BY HEART AND TIED TO SPAIN BY MARRIAGE OR BLOOD, INCLUDING MOST DESCENDANTS OF SPANIARDS IN THE PHILIPPINES. YOU CAN STAY IN SPAIN USING A WORKING VISA OR A RESIDENT VISA. YOU WOULD NEED AT LEAST 2 MILLION PESOS IF YOU INTEND TO MIGRATE TO SPAIN.

3. YOU CAN HAVE A SPANISH NATIONALITY IF YOU CAN DO AN EXCELLENT CONTRIBUTION TO SOCIETY. EXAMPLE- YOU WON A CONTEST, WROTE A BOOK, CREATED A WONDERFUL DRUG, OR BECAME FAMOUS ARTIST LIKE BENICIO DEL TORRO AND RICKY MARTIN

Posted: 08 November 2016 04:24 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2016-11-08

Hello, I Im not sure if its right to post here. My question is, is it possible for great grandchildren to apply for citizenship? Thank you

Posted: 10 November 2016 11:09 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2016-11-10
CALA - 08 November 2016 04:24 PM

Hello, I Im not sure if its right to post here. My question is, is it possible for great grandchildren to apply for citizenship? Thank you

Of course CALA, but what do you mean?

Posted: 11 November 2016 11:32 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2016-11-08

HELLO. I CAN SEE THAT GRANDCHILDREN MAY APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP. HOW ABOUT GREAT GRANDCHILDREN? THANK YOU