Spain 2013 with a dog and basic Spanish?
Posted: 14 May 2012 11:37 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-04-29

A few questions about Spain…

I really wanna teach English (and look in to a career teaching), do people think this industry will exist in 2013? I’m an EU citizen with no experience teaching, but I have a degree and will have a CELTA.

I may have a small dog by then… Can I take it with me? I’ll be renting and I know it’s hard in London to find a place which accepts animals, is this hard in Spain?

Are vetinary bills expensive?

Am I crazy, moving from a secure (but uninspiring and stressful) job in London to teach English in Spain? I’ve wanted to do it for years.

Edit: Apologies for any bad grammar or spelling; I only have rubbish phone internet!

Posted: 15 May 2012 12:00 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Hello Sel.

Well, it is your call, and only you can make the decision to move to the relative insecurity of seeking work in another country at this time.
There will always be a demand for language teachers.  It might be an idea to work first for a while as an English teacher in the U.K. (at a language institute or similar), get some experience and see how you like it.

You can bring a pet to Spain, but it is important to obtain the documents for the dog in the U.K. before you leave.  Veterinary certificate, passport etc.
You could enquire at a veterinary practice where they may be able to advise you.
On the other hand, you could adopt a dog if and when you come to Spain.

In Spain many landlords are reluctant to let to a tenant who has a dog or dogs.  Some may be more lenient.  It is hard to say.  Looking at the “to let” ads will give you an idea of the general feeling of landlords in this matter. 

Veterinary treatment is relatively expensive IMO wherever you are.  I am sure some of the dog owners on this website will have more detailed information for you.

Good luck
Patricia

Posted: 15 May 2012 12:04 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-04-29

The thing is… The TEFL industry seems non-existent here. I did a search on the Jobcentre website and found one vacancy for the whole of the UK!

Posted: 15 May 2012 12:19 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Sel:

Have a look here.

http://www.europa-pages.com/uk/london2.html

A list of language schools/Academies.  Perhaps get out a circular plus C.V. and storm them all.

More stuff here.

http://www.british-study.com/

An example:

http://www.malvernhouse.com/en/about-us/careers

Patricia

Posted: 20 April 2017 04:01 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2017-04-20

Hi everyone!

I’m in love with Spain! I love its culture, people, customs, cuisine, nature… Everything in Spain seems so interesting to me. Thus, I’m thinking about moving there. I have two ideas - Barcelona or Valencia (the eternal love for sea), but I have doubts: is it possible to study in Spain with basic knowledge of its language? Or is it better to improve skills before going there?

I will be glad to read your thoughts, friends 😊

Posted: 20 March 2018 02:25 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2018-03-16

I moved to Spain with my cat. I had a lot of problems because of this, but it’s in the past.