State Schools Mijas
Posted: 10 April 2012 12:48 AM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2007-07-25

Hi

I am trying to help a friend with information on schools in Mijas ashis son has just come to live with him very suddenly. I have seen info about San Sebastian in Mijas but wondered if there were people here with children in that school - I know nothing about schooling here as I have no children so I am feeling around in the dark it seems 😊

Any help or advice would be greatly received

Thanks

Simone

Signature 

Scoliosis Support Network
Online Gaming Jobs

Posted: 13 April 2012 10:07 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi Fruity - for your friend.. (I have no children, but listen to my friends talk about their’s)... 😊

As far as I know? (Don’t quote me - just a rough guide here!)

The Junior? school just opposite the health center in the village as you come in from Fuengi -
seems to be a ‘typical’ Spanish State school.  Loud, boisterous and you have to fight your ground as a kid.
(My Irish friend decided to put her 2 into state school rather than private as it is all she could afford 😉 
She (plus hubby!), and her boys are polite, considerate and very well mannered.  Sadly it was a shock for all
the family at the boisterous nature of Spanish life/culture.  The boys had to toughen up and were sometimes
sent home with a ‘black mark’/report even if they were just defending themselves - as it is the way here (I understand)
that if 2 children (or more) are involved in an ‘incident’, no matter who was the perpetrator, all concerned get a letter!
3 letters and you are expelled??? (Not 100% sure on this, so best to check with actual parents 😉

She joined the PTA to make sure her boys got a fair deal, but this only helped a little, as the Spanish will be Spanish.

There were several teachers in the school who were more than incapable, but the other (Sp) parents did nothing to make complaints.

I understand the ‘level of education’ here is basic at best (unless you go to Uni I think??). 

From all the families I know here, if they can afford to, they prefer to send their offspring to one of the many British/International
Schools along the coast.

With regard ‘College’ (12 +??), it seems just as noisy and inadequate.  (There is one just on the edge of Mijas Pueblo on the inland side - down below Bar El Nino.)

————

Another friend (again one who could not afford private school fees), sent her two youngsters (6 & 8 at the time they came to Spain) to the local State school in Ojen.  (Again a very mild mannered middle class Brit family) -And the same happened to her kids as the eg above. (I.e letters for ‘fighting/distruption’.)  The poor loves had to really toughen up.  The family eventually went back to the UK, but I guess you could say the upside was they were fluent in both languages by the time they did 4 yrs later.

I hope your friends children survive the system here! (I don’t think I would have fared well. It was bad enough in the state system in the UK for me in the 70’s!) 

(PS - I have not heard of a school yet that has a great ‘English’ teacher.  Although it is taught at all ages/levels, the Brit kids know more than their teachers 😉  lol!

Best of luck!

Posted: 27 April 2012 12:47 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2007-07-25

Hola

Thanks for your reply, we put him into the San Sebastian school and so far so good. The teachers are nice, the headmaster is really upto date and kind, into his alternative energy and they run Apple Mac throughout the school which impressed said child 😊

They also offer free Spanish lessons twice weekly which we have taken advantage of and will really help him throughout his daily lessons.

So far we are very impressed with San Sebastian, they also have a school bus which takes all the kids to school and home again, however, we are sending him for “comedor” with the school everyday so he leaves at 4pm - a long day for school but lessons finish at 2pm and then they eat and play for 2 hours which is nice 😊

Overall so far I am impressed

Simone 😊

Signature 

Scoliosis Support Network
Online Gaming Jobs

Posted: 06 November 2013 10:28 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-11-06

hi fruity, ive just read your post regarding the school san sebastian in mijas pueblo, myself ,my husband and my now 6 year old daughter are hoping to move into the village, ( hopefully next year) and i have been trying to research the school, i hope you do not mind me asking you questions 😊 are you still happy with the school, is there many english children, we are learning spanish and hopefully we will be able to get by with the language, but it is still a worry hoping that my daughter will be happy, any advice would be great thankyou x

Posted: 20 December 2013 01:54 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2013-12-19

what do you want to know?The infotmation of this school?If you want to know,I can collect some information for you.

Posted: 21 December 2013 02:16 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Picou Dellamora

As a moderator and administrator on this forum I can access IP address information… and yours decodes to CHINA, HUBEI, WUHAN

From China it is highly unlikely that you can get any more information about Spanish Stae Schools other than that freely available on the internet. Indeed normally, the only way to get the information one requires is to personally visit the schools in question…

Please see the post about inappropriate posts in the lead thread on this forum.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 02 December 2016 06:36 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2016-12-02

Try to find best school in Mijas from this listing http://rankofbest.com/Spain/Mijas/School/

Posted: 16 May 2017 06:21 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2017-05-15
francofunghi - 02 December 2016 06:36 PM

Try to find best school in Mijas from this listing

Thanks for the link

Posted: 14 August 2017 08:28 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2017-08-14

Try to find best school in Mijas from this listing http://rankofbest.com/Spain/Mijas/School/

Awesome! Thanks!!!

Posted: 08 December 2017 08:16 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2017-12-08

ty really helped me

Posted: 21 February 2018 06:08 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2018-02-21

really inspired great work. hope to see more stuff from you.

Posted: 04 July 2018 09:35 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2018-07-04

Thank you all for valuable and detailed recomendation. I truly value your diligent work for bringing this helpful content.

Posted: 30 July 2018 02:41 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2018-07-30

Hello, this is James here it is awesome for me I don’t have word what I say here but i want to appreciate you. Essay Help service. This will definitely be very useful for me when I get a chance to start to Pay Someone To Do My Essay my blog.