Buying a Laptop
Posted: 21 September 2008 01:56 AM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2008-02-16

Hi, I?m a new arrival in Barcelona and would like to buy a laptop but need an operating system in English.  Went to the local PC City and sales guy there said that operating systems in Spain only come in Spanish and cannot be changed.  Is this true?  Is there anyway to get a computer from US or UK that doesn?t involved costly shipping?

Posted: 21 September 2008 03:55 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Hi,
Essentially the guy is correct. Any computer purchased in Spain from a mainstream dealer will have a Spanish Language OS. What makes it even worse is the fact that the OS will invariably be Windows Vista. Vista when installed as an OEM OS will be in one of two forms either Basic or Vista Home Premium. It is possible to make it English compatible but it costs more than the computer in the first place, given that first you have to upgrade to Business or Enterprise or Ultimate Then find and download the M/Soft Language Pack. This pack cannot be installed into any of the basic Vista OS’s.

Vista takes a lot of getting used to especially when its in Spanish Technogeek. I bought a Dell desktop from Carrefour and itsgot Vista Home Premium and Im still having language problems with it occasionally if things go wrong. Vista is entirely different from XP and there is nothing that will appear familiar…

Frankly if you really must have an English speaking laptop, your best bet would be to take an el cheapo flight to the UK and buy one over there. Be advised also that if you want to avoid Vista altogether the XP system is only available as an OEM installed OS until October this year…

Having said that however, I understand that a few Brit computer whizkids in the South of Spain can supply a laptop with an English version of Vista or XP. Just be careful in selecting your supplier if you decide to go this route…there are a lot of sharks over here…and the aren’t all in the Mediterrranean…

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 22 September 2008 08:48 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2008-03-05

I went back to the UK and bought one from PC world,it worked uot a lot cheaper.
I have always used XP but bought Vista ,used it straight away with no prob.
Everyone i spoke to told me how different and hard Vista was i found it great.

Posted: 22 September 2008 09:06 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

price make and model please , thanks jurdy

Posted: 23 September 2008 01:32 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2008-03-05

Toshiba Equium A100 cost 450 pounds,it was last year.

Posted: 23 September 2008 01:53 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Consider picking up a Macbook from FNAC or the Mac store on Muntaner?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 24 September 2008 01:43 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-08-12

try looking at some of the PC refurbish

http://www.rdc.co.uk

You can often get a good deal

John

Posted: 03 October 2008 04:35 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

ok where you living and what do you need to do with the laptop ...... home work fun music and so on thanks
jurdy

Posted: 09 February 2009 01:59 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2006-12-31

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/09/22/download-and-install-windows-vista-mui-language-packs-on-vista-home-basic-home-premium-and-business/

This is a link so you can change Vista Spanish into English - at no cost.

Posted: 18 September 2018 10:14 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2018-09-18

It thinks you should buy MacBook if you afford that because it provide amazing performance.

get the best [URL=https://uaetechnician.ae/iphone-6-price-in-uae]iPhone 6 price UAE[url]

‹‹ ONO Internet      Going to Gijon (Asturias) ››