British Plumber, will there be any work in Costa Del Sol?
Posted: 22 September 2006 01:31 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-09-20

My family and I are relocating to the Costa Del Sol and my in laws (I actually get on very well with them!!!) are toying with the idea of coming too.

My father in law is a qualified plumber and asked me to “put the feelers out” as to whether you think he could get business out there. If so, any tips on where/how to advertise. His Spanish isnt great but he says hes willing to learn.

Many Thanks in advance.

Posted: 25 September 2006 01:15 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Another expat was asking about plumbers in the Valencia region too, so check out that post.

As far as advertising is concerned, there are plenty of cheap advertising options out there when it comes to the publications in English on the Costa del Sol. It depends on where you’re going to be, but here are a few I’ve found:

>Absolute Marbella (est. 1995; monthly)
Glossy, glitzy monthly magazine on the lifestyle of Marbella (M?laga), with full-color features on fashion, food and wine, shopping and celebrity interviews.
Editor: Mara Lane
E-mail: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

>The Costa del Sol News (est. 1996; weekly)
Costa del Sol (M?laga) edition of the Costa Blanca News, with which it shares features section, with added pages on local news stories, events, community news.

>Essential Magazine (est. 1999; monthly)
Aimed principally at residents of Marbella and environs, with full colour features on lifestyle, travel, fashion.
Editor: Fay Marchant
Publisher: Iain Blackwell
E-mail:  .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

>Sur in English (est. 1984; weekly)
Published by the M?laga daily newspaper in Spanish, Sur, with community news, Spanish news, columns, and large classified ad section. Spain’s largest English-language publication with an audited free distribution of more than 40,000 copies.
Editor: Liz Parry
“Sur in English is aimed mainly at English-speaking residents in southern Spain and features local information and news, general features and 30 plus pages of classified ads which are used by both the foreign and Spanish communities.”

Contact these folks for more help about advertising plumbing services, but I would imagine that there’s still quite a demand for English-spoken trades on the Costa del Sol.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

‹‹ Swimming Teaching and Building      How easy? ››