Stiffed by employer
Posted: 19 August 2011 06:42 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-08-19

I worked for about 3 months as an English teacher outside of Barcelona, ending in June 1st.  The work was in a logistics company, but I was hired through an agency out of Madrid.  They asked for a NIE on the contract, but as I didn’t have one and won’t be able to obtain one easily at this point, I gave them my passport number.  They said this was alright and signed the contract, which clearly identified me by my passport number.  They paid me the first month, but since then have been dragging their heels more and more.  They told me they could pay a friend of mine who has a NIE.  I gave them all his info, then they informed me they could only pay an aut?nomo or a business.  I had a friend’s business write them a factura, which they then claimed they couldn’t pay. 

I’m leaving the country soon, and am not sure what recourse I have left, seeing as how I’d already overstayed my visa before starting work.  I wouldn’t have a problem with a company only wanting to hire people above the table, but they should have never hired me in the first place if that were the case.  I was upfront about the fact that I didn’t have a NIE.  These guys let me work while knowing I didn’t have papers and now don’t want to pay me. 

Is there anywhere I can make a formal complaint, if only to warn other undocumented teachers (of which there are many)?  Also, would making a complaint to the gov put me in any danger as far as visa issues goes, or would my employer be able to retaliate in this way?  I’m only here for a short while longer but it would be nice not to complicate things.

I realize it’s a lot of questions, just thought I would look here for anyone with a similar experience.