—-Please Help——
Posted: 04 June 2007 07:44 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-06-04

I think I may have gotten myself into trouble…

Here are the straight facts….

-american, recent grad, (so student visas are a possibility)

-i am almost fluent in Spanish

-i am not wealthy and will need to work once in Spain (willing to nanny, intern, clean houses, wait tables, etc)

-I have NOT applied for any sort of visa

-(Here’s the clincher) I have purchased a ONE-WAY flight in September, which gives me 3 months until departure….

My questions are….

1. Will i be let into the country without a RETURN ticket? If not, any advice on how to handle this situation?

2. Since I am only living there for 1-3 yrs, is applying for a visa really worth the $$$, time, & energy?
-2a. If i do apply for a visa, which is easiest/most practical to attain in the time left? (visiting student/work/tourist/none?)

-ANY TIPS OR ADVICE stemming from your wisdom will be highly appreciated seeing as I am an unwise-romantic who buys one-way tickets before doing my homework. Thanks!

Posted: 11 June 2007 08:45 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-01-31

They won’t ask you, an American, for any proof of return ticket… they only do this in my experience for people from poor countries (from which you need a visa even to visit).  You don’t need a visa to go and stay up to 3 months.  However, it is impossible, and I do mean impossible, to get any kind of official status once you are here unless you got a visa beforehand.  My advice?  Try to get a visa beforehand, and if it doesn’t arrive on time, fly and forget it and work under the table.

Good luck!

Posted: 23 July 2009 01:32 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-07-21

I didn’t know that not having a return flight would be an issue. When flying with Delta they made me buy a return flight because legally an airline company shouldn’t let anyone out of the country without proof that they will return. They could be fined a lot of $$$

This post was put up two years ago… but it’s obviously changed (possibly with just certain stickler airlines) but just heads up!!

mad4madrid