Monthly living budget
Posted: 26 September 2011 01:20 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-09-26

Hello fellow Expats;  I’m a newby on this site and I’m thinking seriously of retireing to Spain. I lived on Mallorca several years ago
and loved it, I regret leaving, but thats another story. I think I’d like to settle in the Province of Jaen about an hour north of the city
of Granada. I’m not sure at this time if I’ll rent or buy, But my question is and I have to say I’m not an extravigant person, budgetwise on a monthly basis what could a single person survive on. Things like going out to a local restaurant 2 or 3 times a
month, buying food at the local market/supermercados, buying wine/beer, cable tv, internet/WIFI conections, average bills for
electricity, cooking gas, water, sewage, garbage collection, and any other living expenses that might crop up. Thanks very much
for any replys.

Posted: 26 September 2011 02:56 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

chipper hi…
Firstly welcome to the forum.
This subject has been covered several times in the past and of course all answers are subjective.
Clearly there is a world of a difference between buying and renting especially if you buy outright.
Typically long term rentals will cost between 400-650 euros a month. You may find somewhere cheaper depending on location.

Electricity is expensive, on a par with or ashade more expensive than the UK and your location will reflect greatly on this bill. We are at 900 meters altitude about 3000 feet ASL. We live in a sheltered valley in the foothills of the Sierras. So we get very hot summers requiring aircon and very cold winters requiring heating. Our house is a typical village house and has little in the way of insulation. Average Summer Leccy bils during July /  August are around 175 Euros per month and Winter bills can be as high as 250 Euros per month.

Rates bills depend on the value of the property as determined by the state (This valuation may bear no resemblance to the price you pay for the property). For a small property say one or two bedrooms in a village you can expect to pay around maybe 100 Euros three times a year. This includes sewage, water provision and garbage collection. One also pays for water via a water meter.

Internet can be difficult depending on your location; again where we are we pay Telefonica 40 euros p/m for a 3mbps service and 14 Euros p/m line rental. Availabilty depends on your location; it may be necessary to consider satellite internet if you are in a remote area or in an area where Internet via landline or WiFi is not available. Beware of satellite Internet however; installation costs are coming down dramatically but the service is capped and some stringent rules apply under the so called Fair Usage Policies.

Supermarket prices generally on a par with the UK say Sainsbury / Waitrose. Wine and beer much cheaper than the UK.

Cars… second hand cars are expensive but there are bargains to be had by shopping around. Fuel is around 1.30 Euros per litre for diesel. Road Tax depends on the emissions standard of the vehicle, I pay 75 Euros per year for a 10 year old 1.9litre Dci Renault Scenic. Car insurance can be expensive… shop around but beware that unless you ask for fully comp most Spanish Insurers will just sell Basic 3rd party. However, all Spanish Insurers include ‘Assistencia para Viaje’
which is roadside recovery.

Public Transport by bus in generally good, and inexpensive. Jaen Province is not particularly well served by train however. Granada / Jaen Airport has no services originating in the UK. Malaga is the nearest major airport.

Depending on location, about 1500 per month plus rental should give a fairly relaxed lifestyle; BUT be aware that if you are dependent on UK pensions they will be subject to exchange rate variations. When we first moved here ?1000 would get you 1450 Euros; those days are long gone, at today’s rate that same 1000 will get you just 1145 Euros.

Hope some of this helps…

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 26 September 2011 05:51 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

chipper Hi again…

I just ran a check on your IP address and note that you are in fact in Canada.

This has implications for immigration and retirement etc.,  and the references I made comparing prices to the UK may be irrelevant if you have no recent experience of life in the UK. Sorry about that!

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

Posted: 28 September 2011 04:16 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

Mass 666;

your post deleted and a ban applied to all associated IP addresses.

Reason flagrant disregard of posting rules and totally irrelevant SPAM

fb
Mod / Admin

Signature 

Help desperately needed

Posted: 29 September 2011 04:07 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-09-26

Hello Foxbat;  Thanks for your quick response, mucho appreciated. I believe that I really want to buy as opposed to renting. The reason for my asking these questions was to see if I could find a corellation between the Euro and the Peseta which is what I was
used to while living on Mallorca, and then of coarse working that out in dollars, back when I was there 150 Pesetas was equal to
$ 1.00 US. It doesn’t mean a hill of beans now of coarse with the Euro somewhere around $1.35 US or something close. Thanks
again and if you don’t mind I may just pick your brain again. Oh by the way I am a Brit [ dual citizen ], from Weston-Super-Mare.

Posted: 29 September 2011 04:37 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

few prices , cable tv + net 45 Euros ( 15mb + 70 canals )
cell phone 45 euros , Weekly fuel for car 30 euros (used very day )
Night out 40 - 60 euros , good meal 30 euros , cheap meal 5- 10 euros
put your rent on top of that 100 per week

shopping coming out around 60 euros ever 3 weeks (one person )
Aldi , Carrefour , Hipercor , Hiperdino just some supermarkets you look up prices , via there website
do rent frist and then buy later , property price are still falling here ... rock bottom still hasnt hit yet
jurdy