Do you need a TEFL/CELTA if you are an experienced, qualified teacher?
Posted: 07 December 2011 02:31 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-12-07

Can anyone help me?
i am looking to go and live for maybe 2 years in spain but not in areas where the international schools are based.(my partner is spanish and i would live with her - so to start with i am only looking for part time work, and money is not too much of an issue to begin with), 
I am considering teaching english as a foreign language, maybe in an academy or private tuition. Many people seem to recommend CELTA as the ultimate, however its expensive and does not seem to be available in a pure online version. I am an experienced teacher of 13 years and i am currently employed full time in th uk teaching A level ICT, i have also worked in 11 to 16 schools, so i dont feel i need the classroom experience side of things, however i do need the grounding of english grammar etc. So, would an online tefl be acceptable? (much cheaper and convenient), or would it limit my opportunities / rule me out of applying for certain jobs?
So, i would like your opinion, would an online tefl course be enough? would it help me get work? Would there be opportunities for someone in my position?
any help welcome!
thanks

Posted: 11 December 2011 10:55 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

This is a useful website.

http://www.multilingual-matters.com/

C

Posted: 13 December 2011 12:52 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-11-30

I think with your other teaching experience and your ability to do the job that anyone looking for an English teacher should be happy with a TEFL certificate.
HTH