Moving To Madrid
Posted: 14 December 2011 01:34 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-12-14

Hi,
I am considering a job offer in Madrid for appx 32,000 euro gross annual over 14 paychecks, appx 2400 euro a month. Is this a good wage? Would I be able to live in a 2-3 bedroom apartment with a roommate for this amount? I dont mind living a bit out of the centro and taking the subway in. Any help would be much appreciated, especially as i have no idea how much taxes would be. thank you!
😊

Posted: 15 December 2011 04:14 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2010-06-04

My OH has also been offered a job with similar pay, starting in Feb, but would come home at weekends. He is considering just renting a room, he is looking into costs for this at the moment. If he finds out anything I will let you know

Posted: 05 January 2012 01:39 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2012-01-05

Have you been to Madrid before?

BNSTX - 14 December 2011 01:34 AM

Hi,
I am considering a job offer in Madrid for appx 32,000 euro gross annual over 14 paychecks, appx 2400 euro a month. Is this a good wage? Would I be able to live in a 2-3 bedroom apartment with a roommate for this amount? I dont mind living a bit out of the centro and taking the subway in. Any help would be much appreciated, especially as i have no idea how much taxes would be. thank you!
😊

Posted: 08 February 2012 09:06 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2011-07-28

Not sure if you?re still toying with this offer, but 32k is a very good wage considering most Spanish either earn 1,000? per month or bare minimum somewhere around 650?. Madrid is expensive, for 2 bedrooms you?ll be looking at minimum 1,000? per month if you want to be anywhere accessible to central. They?ll most likely ask for an “avail” which is a guarantee fund with the bank where you pay 6 months in advance as security and bank fees, since the landlords are scared, especially with foreigners. So maybe look for share room options so there?s less fuss, and it?s cheaper.

You should definitely have a look at where the office is and live close to it because working in Spain usually means long hours, no overtime pay, and they really milk you for all you?re worth. Unless you?re an english teacher, they really have the best life here!!! But if you?re like me slaving away in the corporate office, the shorter the ride home, the better.

Don?t forget, you?ll be hit with a 24% tax (or more if you?re paying like a local, but you can look at deductions) and social security payments. El Presidente decided to raise the taxes starting February, so what you think is 2,400? per month is probably going to end up looking like 1,800? or a bit less per month (but of course you get another payment mid-July and mid-December if you can survive til then).

Of course the wage is more than enough to live and enjoy life in Spain, it all boils down to what quality of life you want.

Posted: 05 June 2012 10:53 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-12-14

thank you everyone for your advice. My husband will have some salary as well, but it seems like its going to be workable for us. I have lived in Madrid for about a year before during college and I loved it!

Posted: 16 June 2012 12:07 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Dennis..

Welcome…

I recently shifted to madrid

Couple of points that make me suspicious of your motives for posting here;

Your IP address decodes to Florida USA, and your signature link contains a completely irrelevant link to an Australian company.

Please remove the totally irrelevant sig link or the post will be deleted and a ban put on your account and IP address.

fb

Moderator / Admin.

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 16 June 2012 07:54 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

Dennis…

Your post deleted; username and IP address banned.

fb

Mod / Admin

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 01 August 2012 12:02 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

isfs…

Your post deleted and IP address banned… SPAM