Seeking Spanish Immigration Law Advice
Posted: 18 February 2012 03:30 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-02-18

My Grandmother was born a Spanish citizen in Mexico City. She never lost her Spanish citizenship which, as I understand it, makes me eligible to apply for Spanish citizenship. Now, Im not sure which avenue to pursue; whether I should go through the conventional immigration process for desendants or invoke La Ley de La Memoria Historica. My Great Grandparents were forced to flee Spain during the civil war and my grandmother was born in Mexico City as a result. My father is currently in the process of obtaining his citizenship of origin which I am guessing will influence things in one way or another.

One other matter that further complicates things is the fact that I am married to an American woman, in the event that I am required to reside in Spain for a year before applying for citizenship would she be able to work in Spain? Will she have to obtain sponsorship from an employer to apply for a work visa? Am I correct in assuming that I would not need to be sponsored due to my Spanish ancestry? Any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Posted: 18 February 2012 03:52 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Hello Sergio:

For these quite complicated matters my advice would be to seek the assistance of a Gestor?a in Spain (in Madrid).  They will have the correct answers you require, and can process the applications and documentation for you.

It really will save you a lot of time and trouble.

Best wishes
Patricia