Spain
Posted: 04 April 2012 01:59 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-04-04

The best city in Spain? And why? Just a general question, you can write whatever it is on your mind and I’ll do research accordingly.

Posted: 05 April 2012 07:28 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2010-06-04

I like sevilla and Cordoba but am not really a city person. I live in a small village and just visit the cities occasionally. ecija is a lovely town, it used to be the capital of andalucia.

Posted: 06 April 2012 11:25 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi Cart, I have lived in Malaga region for past 12 yrs and traveled to alot cities therein.  Sevilla is of course top of the list for its atmosphere and buildings. (As well as the great tapas bars - as it is in fact reputed to be the ‘home of the tapa’)  Cordoba for the Mezquita/ambiance too.  Malaga city has some great streets/is a lovely place to see the ‘real Spain’ without feeling like you are in a very large city.  Granada (long time since I went, so must go again sometime!).. The Alhambra of course.  Didn’t get to much time in the city, but what I do remember again, it had that low key feel.  Cadiz province I love too.  (Not Cadiz itself, but Jerez etc I liked.)  Going East - I stopped at Elche onetime (lots of palm trees - home of them going back centuries!)  Alicante, only remember again it was not too sprawling.  Valencia - went on a Sunday (as I prefer the ‘quieter times!’) and wandered around the old city and saw the folk dancing they put on every week.  Seemed quite a big/busy place. And only a few older/historic buildings in the center.

Apart from that, there are many wonderful ‘towns’ I have been to on my travels (Ronda, Mijas, etc, etc. Too many to mention!)

Happy travels! 😊

(PS I have been to most places on driving holidays.  Only once went by train - to Cordoba. Madrid and Barcelona I can take or leave. Too big for me!  Did enjoy the experience, but not looking to go again in a hurry. Preferred Toledo as a day trip etc. MUST try and get to Segovia and a mil other places in Spain that I know I will enjoy 😊

Posted: 10 April 2012 02:40 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2011-03-15

OK, I live in La Coru?a and love it. Probably though, if I could choose anywhere it’d be San Sebastian. Why? Well, it’s a smart city, not very big, the Vascos are very European, (more akin to Northern europeans). The countryside is fantastic, the food is second to none, the Basque economy is in a better state than the rest of spain, it’s good for mountains, skiing, close to france etc. the downside? It’s expensive.