Spanish naturalization process
Posted: 23 April 2012 02:41 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-04-23

My apologies if this question has already been discussed elsewhere. I was not able to find any topics on this subject.

I am reaching the end of my residency period in Spain and will be able to apply for citizenship. Unfortunately, I will also be heading abroad for two years to pursue a graduate degree in another country. Does anybody know how the process works in terms of having to actually be in Spain during the 1.5-2 year application process?

I understand that you have to be in Spain in the 10 consecutive years right before the application for naturalization. I will shortly be filing my application before I began my studies. If I am not allowed to leave now for schooling during the 2 year processing period, I can’t imagine having to restart the 10 year residency period after I come back! If necessary, I can fly back into Spain whenever necessary, but I have heard rumors (haven’t been able to confirm or deny) that there are random home visits and interviews to check that you are actually a resident in Spain?!

Any input on this issue would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

N.B. If anyone can recommend an immigration lawyer that would be able to help me do the application process while I am out of the country, that would be very helpful too!

Posted: 23 April 2012 04:24 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2012-03-26

Er, actually yes, you are supposed to be in Spain for the naturalization process, and indeed, there can be check?ups by the police to verify your presence in the country. Furthermore, the residency requirement for beginning the application process of ten *consecutive* years immediately prior to your application. Therefore, if you cease to be a resident for two years while you pursue studies abroad, you *will* have to restart your consecutive residence upon returning to the country. Which altogether is probably the last thing you wanted to hear, but there you have it. I might recommend not applying for citizenship now, and instead renewing your residence for these two years. You may be able to use this comulative time to start the naturalization process upon your return, but they may always invalidate it because you were not in the country, even though you were a resident.