Expat Tax
Posted: 09 May 2012 05:09 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-07-03

I’m currently a British Citizen living and working in Spain as a Permanent Employee on the the Spanish fixed-rate expat tax status.  I’ve been employed for 4 years so I have another year left on the fixed expat tax rate.

I’m going to be made redundant in August but have a remote contracting opportunity starting later in the year until the middle of next year.  The entity I’ll be invoicing will be an off-shore company.

I don’t plan to transfer the money I earn into Spain as I have enough money already in my Spanish bank account to support myself.

I also don’t know if I will remain in Spain for the duration of this contract I may move to another european country.

I want to do everything legally but am willing to bend the rules to my advantage as this will be a short term opportunity.

If I registered a tax-exempt off-shore company and invoiced through this company outside Spain would I still have to declare these earnings?

My understanding is whilst I’m on the fixed rate expat tax-status I don’t have to declare earnings outside of Spain, is this understanding correct?  Or is it once I stop earning and paying taxes in Spain I lose my expat tax status?