Serviced accommodation in Spain?
Posted: 21 June 2012 10:12 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-12-31

Hi,

I’m a retired Brit currently living in Asia considering a move to southern Europe.

Despite looking on the Web and on Spanish expat forums I can’t find the type of serviced accommodation that I’m looking for.  I don’t mean a rented apartment with a maid who comes in twice a week but more a residential type of hotel to see out my days.  For the past 7 years I’ve rented a 70 sq mt one-bedroom suite in a 3/4 star hotel and would like to get something similar in Spain.  Do any hotels or resorts there do this type of long-term deal?

No pre-conceived ideas of area but would prefer not a major city and better in a coastal region.

Can anybody advise?

Many thanks.

Feyo

Posted: 23 June 2012 02:23 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi Feyo,
I only really know the coast locally to me (Fuengirola etc),
A friend here pays by the week for a room in the cheap hostal, as do many other residents.
It seems to suit him.
I ‘think’, but please don’t quote me.. He pays around Eu75 per week (low season).. but this is only limited to low season and he either has to move out during peak season (usually July/Aug) or pay a higher rate. 
It is the Hostal Galan in Fuengirola centro (sure you could find out their no on google etc.)
It ‘may be’ more than this, as I am not in regular contact with him presently.  But this is around what it was costing. (It was more than a flat share I remember, but he likes his independence.)

There are of course many costal resorts here in Costa del Sol (Torremolinos, La Cala de Mijas) or even Cadiz maybe cheaper?  Also Costa Blanca would be a good place to look.

If you have any idea of what area you are particularly looking at, I am sure there are some forum members who may be able to share their local knowledge.

Good luck 😊 sj

Posted: 25 June 2012 11:49 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Hello Feyo:

In your message you mention 3/4 star accommodation, so perhaps an “aparthotel” type establishment might fit the bill for you.  However, you would need to check if they would allow accommodation on a long-term basis. 
70 sq. metre is quite a good size.

If you google in “aparthotel” followed by the name of a resort or location of your choice you’ll see a few.  Aparthotel prices do vary from place to place, but you’d be looking at around 50 euro a day, perhaps less in some places.

Patricia

Posted: 26 June 2012 06:15 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-12-31

Susan and Patricia,

Thanks for the replies.

I need a one-bedroom suite of decent size and quality as this will be my only home and I need to house all my personal stuff.  The hotel where I have lived for the last 7 years has about a dozen of us on multi-year deals to keep the place going in the low season.  I’ve been quite happy here but want a change of scene with a temperate climate and better organised infrastructure.

The aparthotel search is a good idea but this type of long term deal is difficult to organise remotely so I’ll get to Spain in September to attempt face to face negotiations.

In the meantime, if anybody knows of a similar deal going I’d be grateful to know.

Feyo

‹‹ University for foreigners      HOME INSURANCE ››