ADSL Ambito Rural…..Help please
Posted: 14 July 2007 02:54 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-07-14

Hi Everyone! I’ve just discovered this site and find so much in common with the experiences and dealings of telefonica. I could go on at length but at this point would appreciate some help. Having been messed about regarding an adsl connection for the last six months telefonica has eventually come up with ‘ambito rural’....BUT AT WHAT EXHORBITANT COST!!! still it’s the best I’m going to be offered for now.
They wanted another 110euros for the router/modem etc. Well I already have a speedtouch adsl modem and the drivers and so declined their offer. The problem I can see is that ‘when I am switched over’ I will lose dialup connection and be without internet access for assistance/problem solving with the adsl setup.
So what do I need to have for setup?
Is there a telephone number for the ambito rural adsl connection
Is there a setup cd for telefonica adsl
any other codes or passwords

telefonica helpline suggests I call the technical assistance helpline but my spanish especially on this technical jargon is unlikely to be good enough.

Any help or advice would be welcome

thanks ian

Posted: 14 July 2007 10:06 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2007-07-04

Hi Ian

I have absolutely no experience with the ?Ambito Rural? so I?m not sure what sort of service they provide or how they provide it.  I could provide you with the configuration for the good, old regular ADSL.

Many years ago I used to use the following site with great success:

http://www.adsl4ever.com/foro/

It?s possible that someone on this forum could help you with your quest.

Signature 

Posted: 14 July 2007 10:19 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-07-14

Thanks Don,
Tried the site but nothing came up on the search. Did telefonica provide you with an installation disk for adsl or did you have to configure manually?
Any info. appreciated.

Good photo but haven’t seen you around where I live in Alzira!!!

Posted: 14 July 2007 10:40 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-04

Yeah, I?m so ugly that I try to keep a low profile.

I?ve had my ADSL line for probably 7 or 8 years.  When I first got it the Telef?nica engineer didn?t know how to configure the modem so I actually did it myself.

The last modem that I installed came with a CD and a booklet.  The CD I didn?t use because it was a USB modem, so I replaced the modem with a 3Com device and that worked really well.  Which SpeedTouch do you have?

Signature 

Posted: 14 July 2007 10:54 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-07-14

speedtouch usb st330….It’s the one that looks like the sea creature…Manta Ray…in turquoise!

Posted: 14 July 2007 11:10 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-04

I?m not familiar with this model.  But it should be as straightforward as using the username and password that Telef?nica supply for the WAN link and setting VPI (8) y VCI (32) with PPoE.

I?m just going to pop out for a beer.  I?m happy to continue when I return.

Signature 

Posted: 14 July 2007 11:21 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-07-14

I think from what I’ve researched from the telefonica site that it is the same:
nombre de usario….
contrasena….

indicador de circuito virtual (ICV)/32
indicador de trayecto virtual (ITV)/8

Just not sure when/what to do with this info. Will I get a prompt after installing the modem drivers?

If you’re around tomorrow…I’ll be around

Thanks for helping. Ian

Posted: 15 July 2007 12:58 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-04

What’s the operating system?

Signature 

Posted: 15 July 2007 09:16 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-07-14

Good morning Don

Its Windows XPpro.
Last night I worked through the ‘set up new connection’ for broadband in ‘control panel’ and put in the default username and password from the telefonica site but I don’t know if together with installing the modem drivers that’s all I have to do?
What about….....
indicador de circuito virtual (ICV)/32
indicador de trayecto virtual (ITV)/8

Ian

Posted: 15 July 2007 10:51 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-04

Hi Ian

This requires a change to the registry, I believe.  Try expanding:

o   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
o   SOFTWARE
o   Alcatel
o   SpeedTouch USB
o   Phonebook
o   0001

You should then see two DWORDs; something like VpiVci_VCI or VpiVci_VPI.

Signature 

Posted: 15 July 2007 12:00 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-07-14

Thanks Don,
I shall ‘hang on’ before going into the registry and wait until telefonica has switched me over to ADSL. I generally keep away from the registry…unless all else fails!!
Telefonica has given me a 20 day time period for them switching me over to ADSL(they say it is a requirement in spanish law)........we’ll see it might be less but not more…but if past experience is anything to go by. Anyway thanks again and I’ll let you know how(if) it goes.
Ian

Posted: 31 July 2007 01:00 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-07-14

Well it’s all up and working but what a carry on. Spent hours trying to get the old router working but in the end had to give up…I think it must be ‘blocked’ for use with AOL. UK.
I tried another router, a Belkin WI-fi, But again struggled and couldn’t get it working…and I tried for two days.
I then swapped this for a simple telefonica standard router that came with an installation CD. I got this to work by a manual install because it wouldn’t accept the software on the CD.
I really wanted a wi-fi router though, as I have more than one computer and visitors also come with their own laptops. I replaced the router for a telefonica wi-fi and now have this working on my PC…together with my laptop. THere were problems and the software didn’t want to install. In particular setting up the WEP was made more difficult as I couldn’t work out whether the code read 00(zero, zero) or OO(OH,OH). Another issue was having to reset the code in the network card to match up to the router. This and other issues has taken ages.
I would say to anyone who doesn’t have reasonable PC knowledge and only limited spanish for reading the copious instructions and menu’s when installing the software. If you want a wi-fi router connection for the first time from telefonica…get the engineer to come!
Incidently although this wi-fi setup is quite new to me I have a very good working knowledge of PCs developed over many years and both my home computers are recent and fitted with all the gizmo’s but this time I was struggling.

As for ‘adsl rural ambito’....It’s brilliant compared to standard dial-up. My download speeds average around 450kbs and uploads around 120kbs…not exactly lightening but a huge difference. The pages now ‘all load’ including the graphics etc. It is expensive at 39 euro’s a month especially if you compare this to the UK but at the moment it is all that is available in the ‘rural community’. Apart from the fact that ‘orange’ are also offering the same deal and price but are also including a ‘free router’!

I’m so glad Carrefour take returns!

As for telefonica they remained useless up to the end and had I not recognised a ‘Buzzing’ on the telephone I wouldn’t have known the changeover in the connection to adsl!