Opening a Yoga business
Posted: 09 August 2012 04:23 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-08-09

Hello,

My name is Greg, my partner and I are planning to relocate to Spain and open a Yoga business (risky we know but life is boring with out risk). This is my first post so please forgive me if I have done anything incorrectly.

I am wondering if anyone is aware of the legality of running a Yoga studio from your own home as a start up, and then moving to a studio once we build up client?le. I know that if we moved in to a flat we would have to chat to the (I forget the name) but the building community.

Obviously we would register with the local police station and as a comunidad de bienes, and several Yoga Institute fees we would have to pay to be registered.

any thoughts, critics are welcome

Kindest Regards

Greg

Posted: 18 October 2012 10:23 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi Greg,
I have not done the process myself, so excuse if I do not have all the facts.
I do know several practitioners (my chiro, osteo and dentist all run their practices from ‘apartments’)...
who have a business in a primarily dwelling situtation.

I am thinking if it is a community building you will have to get the permission of the committee (which in theory could be all the residents in the block as they should be attending these meetings for their own benefit!)...
Some will be Ok with it, others not!!!  (Case in point my Osteo who has had his practice running for 6 years no problems, then due to strained relations with one of the other apartment owners, she keeps ripping his name tag off his front door bell???)..!!!

As for legalities… you need to get the right legal advisor (please be careful and only pay when you are satisfied with their services as there are many poor ‘advisors’ out there and they will happily take your money and do very little/the wrong thing!)

I am guessing you will need a ‘licence’ of some kind to operate as well as insurance, SPANISH qualifications, health and safety, tax registration, social security registration etc, etc.

Please research your legal advisor as much as you do setting up other parts of your business!  (It could save you alot of trouble down the line.)  I am guessing that when you have made a success of it from your home and are ready to open up in a dedicated space outside of there, you will have to jump through a whole new set of hoops.  But good luck!  (There are those who have done it - look up La Chispa magazine, they are perhaps a good starting place.)

Posted: 29 October 2012 02:11 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Greg,
Susaninspain gave you some great advice.

On another note, as one who does yoga and notices the lack of quality yoga centers (on the scale I’ve seen in the US/Canada anyway), I think there is a big unlocked market for it, but there are already a lot of folks teaching private yoga from their homes (I’m not interested in that, for example, too expensive and I miss the community feel of a bigger class).

Also, what are these “Yoga Institute fees” you are talking about paying?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 13 November 2012 05:05 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2012-11-08
salohin - 09 August 2012 04:23 PM

Hello,

My name is Greg, my partner and I are planning to relocate to Spain and open a Yoga business (risky we know but life is boring with out risk). This is my first post so please forgive me if I have done anything incorrectly.

I am wondering if anyone is aware of the legality of running a Yoga studio from your own home as a start up, and then moving to a studio once we build up client?le. I know that if we moved in to a flat we would have to chat to the (I forget the name) but the building community.

Obviously we would register with the local police station and as a comunidad de bienes, and several Yoga Institute fees we would have to pay to be registered.

any thoughts, critics are welcome

Kindest Regards

Greg

How have you been so far? Would be nice if you could share some information about your project round here 😉 maybe I could be droppin in your place next time in Spain…