Want to stay in Spain past the 90 days allowed
Posted: 10 August 2012 07:05 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2012-08-10

My daughter and I are traveling to Spain October 1 and would like to stay for 8 months. We have income and would not be working just studying Spanish.  Do we need a long term visa and is it too late to get one.

Posted: 12 August 2012 11:25 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2012-03-26

UK national? US citizen? If you’re a non?EU national it’s too late. You can apply abroad and perhaps go in as a tourist and come out to pick up the visa when it’s ready and reenter. But the normal processing time is a little over two months once you submit all your documents. And depending on your country of origin, said documents can take several weeks to acquire.

Posted: 12 August 2012 06:35 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2012-08-10

We are from the US and obviously did not do enough research…you are right it is too late on to plan B!  Thanks for your help.

Posted: 13 August 2012 08:32 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-08-13

I was told at the police station that you are allowed to stay an extra month as long as you carry your ticket home with you in case you get stopped.  Otherwise, no one really checks in my experience.  So maximum you can stay is at most 7 months.

Posted: 14 August 2012 06:33 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2012-08-13

I just want to add that my previous post was if you had a 6 month visa.  But if you are there for just the allowed time without a visa, you may be able to apply for an extended stay tourist visa?  Look into it

Posted: 18 August 2012 03:08 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2012-08-18

Plan C - You could enter Spain, leave Spain prior to the date stamp in your passport and go to a non-EU country, like Morocco. Be sure to get your passport stamped upon exit. When you re-enter Spain as a tourist, be sure to get your passport stamped with the new tourist time period granted. You may have to fly from Madrid or Barcelona (non-EU airports; not sure). One trip (cheap flight, or stay for a week with travel agency promotions) might get you the 8 months in Spain you desire.

I haven’t tried this, but it worked for friends in China when we were there in summer of 2005.

Heather