Warning Re Insurance Broker Costa del Sol…
Posted: 25 August 2012 02:15 AM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

I have heard through the grapevine that an ‘Independent Insurance Broker’ DB - who has been plying his trade inland - Alhaurin el Grande, Coin and possibly other areas - has been found to be selling policies, taking the cash, and not paying it to the insurance cos… So although the client has been given some ‘paperwork’ and they think they are covered (car, home, health ins etc.) they are in fact not as the premium has not been received by the Insurers.

We are trying to establish the extent of this - as one person who went to claim discovered to their cost they were not covered - and it is getting likely this person has done this to others and is about to do a runner.

Please note - I am not able to name this person - as the libel laws in Spain are very clear - Unless I have personal experience/proof of my claims, or the person has been found guilty in court -then they can only be named by their initials.

Doesn’t seem fair, but if you have concerns please PM me.

Posted: 25 August 2012 10:47 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Just to update on above. This person has been working in the area for sometime (at least a year or two), and up till now there have not been any issues (that we know of), but now, he seems to be issuing ‘Cover notes’ and taking the money/premium - but not passing it onto the many insurance co’s he is a broker for.

Sadly it is a case of ‘Beware!’

(The police are being informed as he is committing fraud at the very least.)