My intro - plus a “worker guilt” observation
Posted: 25 September 2012 05:20 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-09-25

Hi forum members,

I’ve been following this forum for a while but have only recently signed up to start participating.

I have EU (Spanish) citizenship and am looking at moving to Spain next year to try my hand at English teaching while immersing myself in the culture and getting to know my Spanish cousins. (I have sought some feedback about claims made by English teaching industry members on a separate thread in the English teaching section.)

I am really keen to soak up the Spanish culture and learn the language properly - but of course am well aware of the economic problems currently plaguing the country.

An expat I know who lives in Barcelona made an interesting observation, which I wanted to share with other forum members. She says it’s a difficult time across the board in Spain and there are so many people struggling that expats face a “moral quandary” of sorts by earning money while many locals don’t or simply can’t.

Does this ring true? I know Spain is a special place but I wonder about the general feeling among expats living (and working) in the country during the current economic turbulence.

Cheers.

Posted: 26 September 2012 04:15 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

I fail to see the point, Elright.  If you can provide a service which a local person cannot, for whatever reason, then just go ahead and provide that service.
Quite a large number of Spanish people have moved to the U.K. (for example) to work.

As an aside it seems that everyone wanting to come to Spain can only think of “teaching English”.  Because one speaks a language (one’s mother tongue) does not mean that one can teach it.  Students deserve the best they can get IMO.

There may well be a demand for teaching “business English”, as I can imagine many would be interested in this particular type of English.

Posted: 26 September 2012 02:30 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-09-25

Yes, Campana, that’s the rational answer. I was just wondering what the mood was like on the ground, given there are so many unemployed locals at the moment.

And I agree with you about there being much more to English teaching than simply knowing the mother tongue. Good thing my qualifications and experience should stand me in good stead.

Posted: 26 September 2012 07:54 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Elright: 

I am sure that many Spanish people are depressed about the economic situation of the country.  But they are also a pragmatic people, I have found over the many decades (most of my life) I have lived in Spain. 

Another point to remember is that there is a surfeit of English teachers in Spain, and you are not likely to earn a lot.  I know people who teach and taught English, and in the good times they could command around ?20 or ?25 per hour for private tuition.  I am given to understand that one might be lucky now to get ?19 per hour. 

I feel that a tour of inspection, so to speak, might be your priority.  Go to Spain, check out the possibilities, the general atmosphere, and other practicalities before committing yourself to the move. 

Good luck
Patricia

‹‹ Hi!      hola! ››