Hospital/insurance
Posted: 29 September 2012 09:14 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-01-19

Hello everyone!

I’m from New Zealand but i have a UK passport so please forgive me if some of these questions are very naive.

I have moved from NZ and i’m now currently living in La Rioja.

What is the situation with healthcare as a EU member in Spain? If i have a accident and have to go to hospital is there free public healthcare or do i need health insurance? Any advice would be really helpful! I have been told so many different things from people back home i don’t know what to think.

Thanks i hope someone can help.

Jacob

Posted: 29 September 2012 09:44 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Basically as a UK passport holder if you are below the UK State Retirement age of 65 you need private health insurance.

If you are self employed in Spain you need to be paying into the Spanish Social Security system and this will cost you somewhere in the region of 250 euros per month.

If you are an employee of a Spanish company then that company makes a contribution on your behalf and an additional proportional amount should be deducted from your salary as a personal contribution.

If you are in receipt of the UK State pension you can apply to the UK pensions service for a form S1 which will allow you to register with the Spanish Social Security system to access the Spanish health system without contributions.

Hope this helps

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 30 September 2012 01:15 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-01-19

Thank you! Yes that does help.

Is that 250 euros a month based on a percentage of earnings or a standardized figure?

Could you recommend any health insurers?

Thanks

Posted: 01 October 2012 11:39 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

I think around 250? is the minimum, it could be more depending on earnt income and the type of registration.

Re insurers I was with ASSSA - but suggest you do your own research and it might vary by area, few things are standard across the whole of Spain.

There is another option which is to do nothing, but of course if you are ill you might face a big bill.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 12 October 2012 11:11 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi Jacob, if you do decide on a private health care plan.. you do need to shop around…
Prices are around??? Eu100 pcm for person up to 50… but this is only a guideline….
There are cheaper and more expensive!
Check what is/not covered (some offer ‘reduced rates’ with health professionals, but in our experience the reduced
rates can sometimes be cheaper than if you walk in off the street!)

UK Firms/operating in Spain - (expensive we have found)... AXA, BUPA
Spanish firms.. Xanit, Mafre, Cesar etc, etc.

Find a good broker!!!

EU insure in Elviria are OK…. based here in Andalucia, but will sell a policy for any national co etc…

RE Eu250pcm ??voluntary payment?’ this is same as being autonomo (self employed) and no reduction depending on income one fixed price for all!!!