When to light fires in el campo
Posted: 13 October 2012 04:21 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-05-23

I have a lot of tree waste that I need to burn on my land in traditional olive grove Extremadurian countryside. Someone from the village said I shouldn’t light a fire until November, but that could mean the first or the thirtieth.

I imagine there’s a law that gives dates but I haven’t been able to find it. Does anybody know…

Posted: 13 October 2012 05:45 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Cant answer that directly but over here in deepest Granada Province in a similar campo area the locals seem to do it any time they please.

Here hardly a day goes by without someone burning off tree waste except perhaps during high risk periods in Summer.

Just a general point of observation however aren’t olives normally harvested between November and late Januuary. That might be the reason for burning off during this time getting rid of the waste twigs and branches following the harvest.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 13 October 2012 06:48 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2012-05-23

They all keep their olive groves shorn, because of fire risk: you will not find a blade of grass in them. It was tinderbox dry this year after a dry winter and very crunchy underfoot at our place: thankfully none of us smoke!

We have orchards with all kinds of fruit trees… almost unique in the area and they’ve been neglected for many years. I’ve just been taking out huge quantities of deadwood, cutting back the very hardy trees and some are just entering their dormant season so they can be pruned back hard. All that wood will be chopped for firewood or can wait to be burnt till November.

Firstly, my main concern is the diseased trees that have fungus. A double-trunked pear tree has fire blight, the left trunk nearly keeled over when I leant on it and the other has white fungus growing through the bark. Ideally I’d remove it immediately, but one would want to either bin it off the land or burn it. The first is impractical so I’ll burn it…

... that’s why I was trying to find out when a date was. I’m pretty sure there is one. With all the forest fires in Spain this summer people are very sensitive about the issue. Yesterday I jumped down from branch cutting in our laurel tree and was chatting with Pedro, who was passing through, about this and other things: his face went white and his jaw dropped, ‘?No, Tim el mes que viene!’... I’m just not sure when in November

Posted: 13 October 2012 07:03 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

OK… heres another thought and you should be able to get legal guidance from them…

The Guardia Civil have a Nature and Wildlife Department called Seprona

http://www.guardiacivil.es/es/institucional/especialidades/Medio_ambiente/index.html

I don’t know how good your Spanish is but it might be worthwhile visiting your local GC Cuartel and having a chat since these are the folks that will come chasing you in the event that you get it wrong!.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 13 October 2012 07:44 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2012-05-23

Ta
I’ll check those… I had looked at the government of Extremadura website but no luck…

Posted: 15 October 2012 02:17 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2011-03-15

Why don’t you ask in your local council? They should know too.