Only 28 Days!!!
Posted: 08 December 2012 07:18 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2012-04-23

Hola Everyone!

It’s been a while since I’ve posted so I just thought I’d bring you up to speed on my eistence here in Spain.  I’ve only been here 34 days and I think I have encountered every bureaucratic nightmare one can experience.  The first 28 days of my time here have been spent dealing with all the necessary paperwork in getting a NIE “residencia” card, buying a car and the mess that goes with it, and establishing my residencia with the ayutimento(?) here in Benalmadena Pueblo.  However, I am very proud to say that last Friday, November 30th an absolute miracle occurred!  On that day I obtained the following:  my residencia NIE number (plastic card in 30 days); purchased, transferred, and insured a car; and finally, after every promise made to mankind, I got my hard wired internet from Moviestar!!!  That’s right!  Those five things all happened last Friday.  It was a day to rejoice to say the least.  Those that I’ve met so far say that what I’ve accomplished in just that short time is nothing short of a miracle!  All I know is that a number of major headaches have gone away and now I’m beginning to enjoy myself for a change!

Most of the Spanish population that I have encountered so far have been very helpful.  It certainly helps to let the local merchants know that your a resident and not just a tourist.  My language skills get better each day although one would question that!

I’ve already developed a lot of Spanish driving habits which is scary.

The major thing that absolutely drives me insane is the lack of parking.  No one prepared me for that if it is even possible to do so.  I spend so much time, as do most of you, driving around looking for a place to park…it’s just nuts!!!

In closing, I see the sunrise every morning and the sunset every evening out my backdoor over looking the sea.  It’s so surreal I often pinch myself to remind me that I am really here.

By the way…back at my home in America they’ve had six inches of snow so far!!!  VIVA ESPANA!!!

Hasta luego!

Mike

Posted: 09 December 2012 04:49 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Congrats Mike, that sounds WONDERFUL. It’s these moments which make it all worthwhile. Good for you for doing it all in 28 days. I hope to see you around here more often to help others get through the mess in record time as well!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 09 December 2012 04:49 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Oh, and feel free to drop a comment on some of our info pages if you have updated info for us all!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

‹‹ Moving to spain      Caravan ››