Advice regarding the transfer of a vehicle in Spain
Posted: 22 March 2013 08:31 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-08-24

Many thanks for reading!

I just wanted to ask a question which relates to the transferring of ownership of a Ford Focus (British-bought, RHD, but with Spanish number plates and registered in Spain) which was my late father’s, but which, now that probate in Spain has just completed, is now in my mother’s name.

Essentially, a good friend of my late Dad has offered to buy the car at a mutually agreeable price. The friend also has previous experience of buying/selling cars in Spain. Additionally, he is a very reliable guy, and has proven himself to know a lot about Spanish bureaucracy, et al., over the years. Furthermore, he is already in receipt of all pertinent Spanish documents in relation to the Focus. Nonetheless, my main concern is this:

Without upsetting the apple-cart with the friend, how could I ensure that all the various transfer paperwork is completed in good order so as to avoid a future situation where, because the transfer paperwork wasn’t completed correctly in the eyes of the Spanish motoring authorities, these same authorities then come after my mother at some point in the future over parking fines, penalties, etc., which the new owner (the friend) may have racked up since purchasing the car from us?

To be blunt, I am quite ignorant of the hoops which need to be jumped through to officially complete a vehicle transfer in Spain and, perhaps more worryingly, I have been advised by several other Brits living in Spain that I’d be better off having a solicitor or ‘gestoria’ do everything (rather than solely leaving the transfer to the friend) because one false move could be a nightmare to resolve in the future. The problem is, though, the friend has already begun the paperwork.

At the end of the day, after such a massive trauma of losing a family member I am really just trying to avoid any future unpleasantries for my mother in connection with Spain (whilst, of course, not casting any aspersions about the family friend, as he really is a sound guy).

Any advice would be tremendously appreciated.

All the best and again, many thanks for reading.

Posted: 22 March 2013 08:49 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

He cannot complete the process without your mother (or some authorised with power of attorney) signing forms - so if he does not request this I would suggest the process is not being completed.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/