Moving to Barcelona
Posted: 14 August 2013 03:23 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2013-08-06

Hi everyone!

So, my journey to Barcelona is quickly approaching, and I’m starting to sort out all the details. One of my worries is how I find the apartment when I get there. I’ve never been in Barcelona and don’t know what to expect from the public transportation system, so I was thinking about ordering airport transfer before I go. I don’t really feel like taking a taxi since I don’t speak Spanish and I’m afraid some of the drivers may not speak English. Would you recommend hiring an airport transfer like, say Blacklane? Another question is, are there a lot of students’ discounts in Spain? I’m on a limited budget and afraid that I might not find a job. I’m going to Barcelona to study and have some savings with me, but it is generally expensive living there?

Thanks in advance for your answers,
Ellie

Posted: 21 August 2013 04:44 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-08-17
Ellie376 - 14 August 2013 03:23 PM

Hi everyone!

So, my journey to Barcelona is quickly approaching, and I’m starting to sort out all the details. One of my worries is how I find the apartment when I get there. I’ve never been in Barcelona and don’t know what to expect from the public transportation system, so I was thinking about ordering airport transfer before I go. I don’t really feel like taking a taxi since I don’t speak Spanish and I’m afraid some of the drivers may not speak English.

I’m somewhat confused here. You’re going to visit Barcelona, and you speak neither Spanish nor Catalan? Well, since you’re in Munich, you’re in luck. Buy yourself a sprachf?rer (Langenscheidt makes a good one, like everything else that they do, they’re lemon yellow and easy to spot) and learn how to pronounce the address that you’re going to with confidence. It’s part of the adventure of travel, throwing all of your belongings into the back of a taxi and whizzing off into the unknown. i’d also recommend that you look up the route from the airport to the place that you’re going (do you know that yet?) on Google Maps so that you can avoid getting ripped off by an astute taxi driver. Really, don’t worry about that overly expensive airport transfer service you mentioned above. You’d much rather spend on fun stuff, right? Enjoy Bar?a and support its economy by all means, but do it wisely.

Ellie376 - 14 August 2013 03:23 PM

Another question is, are there a lot of students’ discounts in Spain? I’m on a limited budget and afraid that I might not find a job. I’m going to Barcelona to study and have some savings with me, but it is generally expensive living there?

Thanks in advance for your answers,
Ellie

Google is your besser freund:

http://www.conocerbarcelona.com/como-ahorrar

http://w110.bcn.cat/portal/site/Joves/menuitem.fcc7c99428df85297ca47ca4a2ef8a0c/?vgnextoid=0371a29f5a6a8210VgnVCM10000074fea8c0RCRD&lang=es_ES

I do hope you hit the ground running with your language studies, and yes, Barcelona can be spendy, just like any other European city, although Paris is the absolute cake-taker in that department. I’m sure that some of the old hands can give you advice.

Posted: 06 October 2013 10:07 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2013-07-17

Few tips:

1.Most restaurants in Spain served a cheap, fixed-price meal at lunchtime, known as the men? del d?a. This is usually two or three courses with something to drink, and costs around 10 euros.

2. La Rambla is strictly for strolling ? avoid its overpriced restaurants and caf?s

3.The price of taxis has increased exponentially in recent years, but it?s rare that you?ll really need one, even late at night. There are frequent night-buses, and the metro runs until 2am on Fridays and all night on Saturdays.

4. if you?re planning on doing a lot (but really, a lot) of sightseeing and moving around, the Barcelona Card can be a worthwhile investment.

Posted: 29 December 2013 07:53 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2013-12-29

look for an apartment you can easily through the Internet ad sites or social networks, I found quite by accident. however the first time you can find a place to live on the site couchsurfing

still advise with someone met and became friends on the internet and will live where for the first time and will help the city landmark)