My Husband just got a graduate position in Spain - can I work remotely for a US company on his student visa?
Posted: 13 June 2014 12:51 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-06-13

Hello all and thank you for your help. I’m new to this forum (and to foreign travel for extended periods of time in general) and appreciate any information you’re able to give me.

My husband has been accepted to a 1 year master’s program through Universita de Alcala (?) and we will be moving to Madrid in August. I would love to be able to continue doing my current job remotely from Spain for the next year and my employers are open to the possibility if it’s possible.  He will obviously have a student visa but, as far as I know, I will not be needing a visa since I’m just tagging along with him (we know we will have to leave the Shengen Union every 3 or 4 months to make sure it’s legal for me to stay there).

My questions are
1. Will I be able to work on my husband’s student visa or will I need to get my own visa?
2. If I need to get a visa, where do I go to even start that process- is it even possible?
3. How would taxes work? would it be better to stay as an employee of my company or continue working for them as a “private contractor”?

My questions may be totally naive, to be honest I know very little about taxes and labor laws for the U.S., let alone Spain, but I would love any help or information available to maintain an income for the next year, especially if someone has been in this situation and been able to pull it off.