1 2 > 
1 of 2
Telefonica Refusal To Offer Rural ADSL Internet.
Posted: 05 August 2007 01:27 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

My parents have recently bought a country property near to Loja in Granada province.

They inherited a DOMO radio phone system, which as it stands is fine for their telephony, however no good for internet.

We contacted telefonica to order dial-up internet, were told it would be up & running in 2 days. We waited, then tried to connect. After nearly a fortnight trying to connect and contacting Telefonica to advise we could’nt connect, usually getting the answer “it will be up & running tomorrow….”, we contacted them again to cancel the dial-up and enquire about the possibility of ADSL.

Their answer is because my parents have a DOMO radio phone system, they won’t be able to have ADSL internet because the system is too old. “Will they be able to change their system to accomodate ADSL?” I ask - “No, it’s not available at the moment.” is their reply - “When will it be available?” I ask - “It’s not available at the moment” - is all they will tell me.

Can anyone tell me if Telefonica do actually offer a package aimed at rural users or not. I’ve read about Ambito Rural and to be honest, if it’s availavle to rural users, it will do fine for my parents. They just need to connect to the internet and they’re not worried about anything more than a 512 or 1mb connection.

We’ve looked at these 2-way systems, but at prices of over 1,500 Euros for the setup and equipment, plus over 100 Euros a month, that’s definately not an option for my parents, as I believe they would rather perform semaphore with flags outside their house than pay this much!! 😉

Any help or pointers for either getting the right package with Telefonica that they require, or other reasonably priced options would be greatly appreciated.

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 26 August 2007 02:09 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2006-03-22

Hi I have a TRAC phone as they are called and have no problem with the internet for the following reasons.
You only need to buy a usb to seriel port cable which comes with it’s own software and then delete your 56 modem and add a 33600 modem from a pick list on your computer. You then put your usb into the computer and the other end of it screws into the TRAC phone if you look underneath there is a slot for it. That way the speed is quite good and the line does not drop. However, I supplement the speed with a package called ONSPEED which I bought in the Uk. Anyway hope this helps

Signature 

Susannah 😊

Posted: 26 August 2007 02:11 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-03-22

Sorry forgot to say that I also use Telefonic’s internet package which is 22 euros and you get 24 hour free interent access, free phone calls to 96 and multinational lines. Although other providers may offer the same.

Signature 

Susannah 😊

Posted: 01 November 2007 01:55 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi Expatriator.. Hoping you got this sorted. Susannah seems to have some good tips/useful knowledge.
We eventually had to find another phone providor (ALO) as Telefonica promised a radio* set up, and even the satellite system that was best for us.. has constantly been ‘put on hold’.  Now we know they are breaking the law (European agreement no 1).. but after 3 months we got fed up and found someone else. 
I am still thinking whether to pursue a claim against Telefonica - but as they do not even answer my registered letters/faxes and advice from the Consumer office (OCMI?).. I don’t know that it is worth the emotional effort. 

*(actually, I have been told they are upgrading the old radio type you mention.. but of course they will not come to you and will need a huge push and a shove - as it costs them money to upgrade you)...

Posted: 03 November 2007 03:50 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-25

Hi and thanks for the replies.

In the end we?ve given up on Telefonica for internet.

I managed to find a supplier, IBERBANDA. They offer ADSL through a small dish and at a comparable price to Telefonica, including free installation. They offer a variety of packages including phone line and their response so far has been excellent.

We?re having their ADSL in my own house also. Having made initial contact last Thursday, they are coming on Monday to set everything up, so quite a quick turnaround there.

They have English speaking operators Monday to Friday between Midday and 4pm and can be contacted on 1632.

Signature 

Posted: 04 November 2007 06:09 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi Heath 1974.. (I am replying mainly as I am new to these posting rooms - and the automated message tells me if I don/‘t reply to this - then I will not be able to post elsewehere???)..
- Glad you have got Iberbanda/a solution. We looked into this supplier (the poor technician even came all the way from Granada!).. but we are out of range of the radio relay that services the southern coast/Mijas. (We are just a bit too far around the corner!).  Just hoping that we get continued service on our new set up = which although has its on/off days.. is more or less sufficient!
(I have been advised under ‘European Act No 1’ regarding Telefonia/new phone installations - they cannot refuse anyone.. but as we have a system that works… we are unlikely to change unless it goes wrong!

Happy surfing!
susan - mijas 😊

Posted: 05 November 2007 01:05 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-25

I was telling my parents about your post today.

Dispite the fact they are in breach of European law, pursuing them legally would be both costly, time consuming and take a very long time. I don?t believe there is a small claims system here as in the UK, so it?s quite common place that organisations and business?take advantage of the fact that the majority of people would not pursue.

On a positive note though, Telefonica will have to get their act together sooner or later or lose out, because the market is beginning to open up here quickly. I watch Spanish TV and there are more and more companies offering ADSL and telephony options all the time.

I?m pretty con fident that over the next couple of years, you will see prices drop and companies offering higher bandwidth for better prices, as in the UK - I do miss my 8mb ADSL!!

Let everyone on the forums know how you get on with your supplier, I?m sure that the more options that we find will be to the benefit of the expat community in general, many of whom only think that they have to use Telefonica and are?nt aware that there are increasingly and similarly or lesser priced options available.

Signature 

Posted: 05 November 2007 08:34 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

you have a problem if you have a telephone service and not getting your full services off them you can go to Commission for Communications Regulation
link to there site aswell http://www.cmt.es/ or in english http://www.cmt.es/cmt_ptl_ext/LanguageChange.do?language=en&nav=begin&nav;=

so that will help with your problems

thanks

Posted: 07 November 2007 06:27 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-03-22

Hi all, we wrote to the communications in Madrid and they helped sort out our delays. Telefonica I understand are now installing satellite phones in preperation for ASDL. However, typical of telefonica…as yet they do not have the ADSL technology to go with the satellite. The alternative supplier sounds very promising though.

Signature 

Susannah 😊

Posted: 11 November 2007 04:13 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-25

My lovely new ADSL is working perfectly with Iberbanda I’m pleased to say. Have already set up my website too - which would have taken ages with dialup.

Unfortunately though, m parents property could’nt get a clear signal, as they are in a dip. If their property was 30 metres higher, they would have been fine.

For anyone who lives along the A92 corridor from Granada to Loja, so long as the elevation of your property allows the little dish Iberbanda provide to bounce signals off the antenae on the Parapanda, then you’ll get 100% coverage. If you’re in a dip or a valley, then you won’t at the moment.

Apparently Iberbanda are getting access to more antennae over the coming 12 months so the coverage should improve.

Signature 

Posted: 17 November 2007 02:49 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

I have read that the Spanish government (why not Telefonica?? dont know and it did not explain) is spending 163 million Euros to get broadband internet available to 96% of rural areas. The project - Internet en al pueblo is well advanced in Alicante. Also a bus is going around to explain the benefits - which I guess does not need spelling out for most people!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 17 November 2007 05:29 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19
ROBI - 17 November 2007 02:49 PM

I have read that the Spanish government (why not Telefonica?? dont know and it did not explain) is spending 163 million Euros to get broadband internet available to 96% of rural areas. The project - Internet en al pueblo is well advanced in Alicante. Also a bus is going around to explain the benefits - which I guess does not need spelling out for most people!

the net on the bus , good one robi

the net covers 33,8 % of spain that statcs for 2006-2007

but only problem lot people fine is you upload speed is very slow ( when load to a sever )

I used fiber link and t3 link yes it cost nice few hundred a month

never brakes down

Posted: 17 November 2007 05:54 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Yes good one! well spotted.

Lets hope this gives the rural livers a good service.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 01 December 2007 12:57 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-11-30
Washington - 26 August 2007 02:09 PM

Hi I have a TRAC phone as they are called and have no problem with the internet for the following reasons.
You only need to buy a usb to seriel port cable which comes with it’s own software and then delete your 56 modem and add a 33600 modem from a pick list on your computer. You then put your usb into the computer and the other end of it screws into the TRAC phone if you look underneath there is a slot for it. That way the speed is quite good and the line does not drop. However, I supplement the speed with a package called ONSPEED which I bought in the Uk. Anyway hope this helps

Hi Susannah,

I have been trying to assist my Father who has a one of these TRAC systems with getting his internet working too… (Arrrghhh!) I’m an ex IT Manager from the UK used to work in London and thought that this would be a piece of cake… Was I wrong.  Both my father and I speak fluent Spanish however the problem wasn’t the language, it was that Telefonica don’t know or admit that they have a problem with these TRAC systems and compatible modems.  Of course the Telefonica engineers laptop works on TRAC so that he can gladly say to you it’s your modem and walk away.  So having tried various modems, internal, external, serial, usb, v90, v92….. none have worked with his pc or laptop (or mine for that matter).... I gave up.  Then I met a new local expat who had an old Dell Inspiron 8000 with a v90 3com 56k internal modem in it that does work (49kbps!).  So I did some reading to try to see if I could track down the type of chip it uses to see if I could find an external modem with the same in, this was when I came across your post.  I had seen somewhere before that these TRAC boxes do have their own internal modem and my Father’s box does have a serial port.  So I’m getting excited now, you’re saying that with a serial to usb cable I could use the modem of the trac box to connect?  Can you tell me do you still get a dial up connection box and do you still use #99* to get a connection (GPRS)???  Next I’m going to want to know where to get a cable from!?  I know that there’s a PCCity in Malaga which isn’t too far from my Father but has anyone found a decent online computer shop?  I love http://www.ebuyer.co.uk but unfortunately they don’t deliver here!

Thanks in advance,

Marc

Posted: 01 December 2007 12:58 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-11-30
Washington - 26 August 2007 02:09 PM

Hi Susannah,

I have been trying to assist my Father who has a one of these TRAC systems with getting his internet working too… (Arrrghhh!) I’m an ex IT Manager from the UK used to work in London and thought that this would be a piece of cake… Was I wrong.  Both my father and I speak fluent Spanish however the problem wasn’t the language, it was that Telefonica don’t know or admit that they have a problem with these TRAC systems and compatible modems.  Of course the Telefonica engineers laptop works on TRAC so that he can gladly say to you it’s your modem and walk away.  So having tried various modems, internal, external, serial, usb, v90, v92….. none have worked with his pc or laptop (or mine for that matter).... I gave up.  Then I met a new local expat who had an old Dell Inspiron 8000 with a v90 3com 56k internal modem in it that does work (49kbps!).  So I did some reading to try to see if I could track down the type of chip it uses to see if I could find an external modem with the same in, this was when I came across your post.  I had seen somewhere that these TRAC boxes do have their own internal modem and my Father’s box does have a serial port.  So I’m getting excited now, you’re saying that with a serial to usb cable I could use the modem of the trac box to connect?  Can you tell me do you still get a dial up connection box and do you still use #99* to get a connection (GPRS)???

Thanks in advance,

Marc

Posted: 09 December 2007 10:58 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

Thanks to poster above who directs us to offical websites where we can get consumer help.  We have not bothered as system we paid for (keeps fingers crossed) is still working fine.  I also had another supplier contact me as they now have their own radio mast in our area.
We did speak to an English woman down the coast that informed us of the ‘Rule no 1’ - which she followed up with Telefonica - and they pulled their finger out immediately! It seems if you know what to threaten them with - they will act.. Otherwise I am afraid Telefonica still retain their crown of ‘worst public service’!
Watch this space - as I am waiting for info on a mobile phone service that will cost LESS THAN A LANDLINE!  Yes.. and it is not a wind up!

1 2 > 
1 of 2