Married to Spanish guy (and his family!)
Posted: 31 August 2007 10:31 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-08-31

Hi everyone,

This is a post slightly related to one recently written by Virginia (except I’m not from the US). But I am married to a Spanish guy. I have been living in Madrid for almost 2 years now, and all the people that I have contact with are Spanish - His family, friends, and I study in a course that’s completely spanish. I know there are heaps of foreigners living in Madrid and I’ve been to language exchange evenings, the Irish pubs and that kind of thing. The problem is talking to people I’ve met at these places, it seems like we’re living in different cities!! I make some sort of reference to the M30 obras (roadworks of mythical proportions in Madrid) or something similar and people have no idea what I’m talking about.
It would be so nice to talk to foreigners that are immersed in the lifestyle here, and appreciate for example that getting a leg of a dead animal at Christmas is AWESOME!
I feel like I’m limbo between guiri and espa?ola! I can cook a mean tortilla de patatas, I have a pueblo, suegros, cu?ados and una sobrina. But I still can’t talk at the level I would like, it’s quite obvious looking at me that I’m not Spanish, and the people in fruterias think they can always palm me off with the stuff that’s going off! cheek!!
Is there anyone else that can identify with this?? Maybe we can compare small electrical appliances we have received from our mother in laws?!

Posted: 31 August 2007 10:56 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Kelder, I got a good chuckle from your post. :D

I think you’ll find a few people around the forum here are in your situation or, at least, much more up on Spanish affairs. You might talk to Dreamer in particular, I know she’s in Madrid and rather into the Madrile?a lifestyle.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 01 September 2007 06:32 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Hola Kelder, Yo entiendo todo porque mi esposa es espanola - soy ingles. Los guiris no saben nada! Solucion? No lo se pero es mejor de Inglaterra!!

I have just had 3 weeks of Spanish family - they come down from Madrid to the coast for holidays - 3 weeks of talking, eating, drinking, shopping and siestas - marvellous!

I am a bit confused by your Christmas dead leg of animal - we go up there for Christmas and its a Seafood feast!

I also seem to have missed out on the small electrical appliances - my mother in law supplies me with honey, cheese, ham and does my sewing! I think I got the better deal!

Hang on in there - you are really Spanish when you can eat every part of a pigs anatomy!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 02 September 2007 02:00 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-08-31

Hi Rob,

Yeah it sounds like I maybe got the short end of the stick in the mother in law present department…I got an iron for my birthday, which made it quite clear who she thinks wears the pants in the house (or at least who irons them!!).
Oh, and the animal leg…we get a jamon from my husband’s company at christmas which is great. Same as you on christmas eve though, mountains of langostinos. : )

Posted: 02 September 2007 12:28 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

OK now I understand about the leg - it should come with a ticket for El Gordo! My cunado always gives away the lottery tickets to his workers as well as food hampers.

If its any consolation I think my mother in law prefers me (a guiri!) to her Spanish daughter in law!

Any feedback from Madrid guiris regarding the demise of the Residencia card?

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 09 November 2007 02:11 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-10-03

Well any time you want to rant and rave about the M30 (I mean what a mess of a job) or the pure joy of getting a Jamon for christmas or waiting a month to get one of those lovely small appliances from your mother law, I would love to listen!
I love spain and have lived her for years and have been very happy with boyfriend, his family and everything. However, there are just some things in Spain that are worth talking about!! or venting.