Live with family and teach or apartment share
Posted: 10 September 2006 06:52 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-04-08

Hola,

I will be coming to Barcelona in December for at least 3 months to continue studying Spanish (I came for 1 month of classes 3 years ago, and a week of tutoring last year).  The goal of the trip is to become as fluent in Spanish as possible.  Right now I have the basics and can survive in basic everyday situations (like catching a cab, shopping, asking directions).  But I get very nervous about actual conversations because I worry about conjugating correctly and remembering the correct vocabulary.

I already know which school I will be studying at, but I must decide on where I would like to stay.  My 2 options are with a host family or rent a room in a shared apartment.  Staying with a host family includes a program in which I obtain my English teaching certificate and teach a family english for 15 hours per week, in exchange for room and board.  The room in the shared apartment is pretty straight forward it will likely be shared with other students from anywhere in the world.  The cost for each option is about equal.

My concerns are:
1. The best environment for learning and practicing the most Spanish (will teaching english be a benefit or disadvantage?)
2. I am 32 years old and have lived mostly on my own for 16 years; therefore I am accustomed to a certain level of privacy and independence

If anyone has any experience living with a host family or advise on the best enviroment for learning the language, please share.

Thanks
Kimya