Swimming Teaching and Building
Posted: 14 September 2006 02:20 AM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2006-09-14

I see a lot of jobs advertised for teaching English as a foreign language, but as a Spanish speaking qualified swimming teacher in a country with shed loads of swimming pools, is there much call for swimming teachers to teach ex-pat and Spanish children and adults???
We are moving over to Spain next year and need to know whether setting up my own swimming teaching business in the Torrevieja area is a viable option, or if there are any clubs already running. Is it in the Spanish curriculum? Do they teach it at school or is it privately taught? Are there council run pools or are the majority privately owned? Please help!!

My husband is a builder and has a few contacts over there already, and we have been told that (especially in the ex-pat areas) that there is still a great need for good, honest and reliable builders. Is that the case?

Our children (6 and 4) are in process of learning some Spainsh so they can settle into school easier. We want them to go into a Spanish school because we have been told that they will benefit from mixing with the Spanish kids and will pick up the language even quicker. Is that the case or would it be beneficial to put them into a private bi-lingual school?

As you can see, we have a lot of questions, so any advice on moving to and working/living in Spain would be much appreciated!

Ta!

Posted: 25 September 2006 07:01 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-09-25

hi loopy lou.

I too am thinking about the same thing but not for at least a couple of years. I have a place in Los Altos. Do you know which qualifications if any are needed in Spain?

Liz

Posted: 25 September 2006 07:07 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-14

Hi Liz

I am hoping that the ASA Level two will surfice. I suppose I’d better ask the question at the ASA as I’m sure that they are an internatonal outfit. You don’t fancy going earlier and setting something up with me do you??!!! 

Louise

Posted: 27 September 2006 07:55 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-09-25

is a bit early for me but I wouldn’t mind getting together at some stage. I am knocking on a bit though - 50! I have been involved in swimming all my life and did an STA teachers diploma about 30 years ago which has now lapsed.  am going to restart. would you know what is the present acceptable qualification and how do you get it?

Liz

Posted: 27 September 2006 10:14 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-14

I would have thought that you would only have to do a short re-training course with an ASA regulated body to retain your qualification. The ASA is only for England, so we both may have to retrain in Spain regardless. My husband and I have an appointment to speak to the Spanish Consulate. So I will ask all these relevant questions and let you know what they say. Oh and by the way, 50 is no age in Spain - people are working into their eighties over there so you have plenty of time for a new career!! I’ll keep you posted.

Louise