< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3
Where to live in Madrid
Posted: 17 October 2007 04:58 AM   [ # 16 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-10-13

I would definitely live near the school in Aravaca, an american style school or La Moraleja, an IB school.  My kids go to an IB school here in Beijing, but the International School of Spain is quite small compared to their school here, 268 vs 1500.  Also, I need to ask them if they do a half IB and half certificate diploma, which would be best for my son.  How close are these two towns to the US Embassy? 

Do these areas consist primarily of single homes or apartments?

What other schools would you recommend? 

thanks so much,

Ingy

Posted: 17 October 2007 01:24 PM   [ # 17 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2007-08-18
ingy - 17 October 2007 04:58 AM

I would definitely live near the school in Aravaca, an american style school or La Moraleja, an IB school.  My kids go to an IB school here in Beijing, but the International School of Spain is quite small compared to their school here, 268 vs 1500.  Also, I need to ask them if they do a half IB and half certificate diploma, which would be best for my son.  How close are these two towns to the US Embassy? 

Do these areas consist primarily of single homes or apartments?

What other schools would you recommend? 

thanks so much,

Ingy

A few things to consider.  The tuition for the American School is pretty high compared to other schools here, about $21,000 per year per student, depending on the level.  Also an enrollment fee of about $4500.  Pozuelo and Aravaca are nice, Pozuelo a bit nicer in my opinion.  Mostly apartments and row houses.  Prices are between 3500 and 4500? per meter.  You could buy a detached home but that will run you anywhere between 1,000,000 and 2,000,000? and up.  You dont get a lot of bang for your buck in Madrid.  If you are here for a short time (a few years) you may consider renting.  2500 to 3000? per month will get you a nice big place 250 m2 for example.  You will absolutely need a car, if not two cars.

The US embassy is located in Madrid.  There is a brand new train that connects Pozuelo to Moncloa in Madrid, which is a major bus, metro hub.  Driving into Madrid is INSANITY.  The “international schools” here are in reality, full of Spaniards and Spanish is what is spoken, so ask about this up front if your kids are not fluent in Spanish.  As far as I know, the American School is the only one that is accredited in the US.  There are a lot of British schools here as well where English is the primary language.

Good Luck

Posted: 24 October 2007 01:58 PM   [ # 18 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2007-07-10

Im quite sure all INternational Schools are credited for US Colleges (I went to the INternational School Manila and it was filled with US students).

What is very sad (and a waste to say the least) is that if you have kids that live for a few years in a country and leave without learning the local language. If my kids spoke english and would move to spain I would defenitly want them to learn the local language, and mingle with the local kids and absorb its culture.  If an american family moves to spain and sends the kids to the american (or english) schools, and leave without learning spanish, this is really a pitty IMO. Send them to local schools, have them grow up bilingual, and for sure they will be one step ahead of their peers when they get back home. As far as school curriculae, I cannot immagine pubblic spanish schools being underated compared to pubblic US or UK schools.

My 2 pence worth

Posted: 24 October 2007 08:14 PM   [ # 19 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-08-18
claudio - 24 October 2007 01:58 PM

Im quite sure all INternational Schools are credited for US Colleges (I went to the INternational School Manila and it was filled with US students).

What is very sad (and a waste to say the least) is that if you have kids that live for a few years in a country and leave without learning the local language. If my kids spoke english and would move to spain I would defenitly want them to learn the local language, and mingle with the local kids and absorb its culture.  If an american family moves to spain and sends the kids to the american (or english) schools, and leave without learning spanish, this is really a pitty IMO. Send them to local schools, have them grow up bilingual, and for sure they will be one step ahead of their peers when they get back home. As far as school curriculae, I cannot immagine pubblic spanish schools being underated compared to pubblic US or UK schools.

My 2 pence worth

I agree in principal but if the kids are older it would be really tough to start learning Spanish and keep up.  My kids go to a French school starting last year, my 4 year old was at the limit for being accepted and they monitered him pretty closely to see how he was doing with the language…he’s only just turning 6 now and they are moving pretty quickly with the curriculum.

Posted: 09 January 2009 12:38 AM   [ # 20 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-07-22

just something else to consider if you plan on moving to Madrid, besides the other topics herein, is the absolutely hideous air quality throughout most of the city. i think most ex-pats, well most earthlings probably, come from places with far better air quality than madrid, and if you plan on staying for any significant amount of time, i think this is something you should think about when choosing a place to live. i have been in madrid for years now, and despite doing huge more-than-average amounts of exercise, i think my lung capacity has actually decreased significantly over the years, due to the dangerous pollution levels, which on many, many days of the year are up to 6 times the recommended amount. bear in mind that the madrid municipal government shamelessly manipulates the pollution data by only including average figures for all of the pollution meters in the city, including the ones way out in the boondocks and in the middle of humongous parks. oddly, some of the ones in the big traffic-filled plazas have been “out of order” for years and never repaired, and are simply not included in this randomly created “city-wide average.” if these park-located meters were not included, rest assured that madrid’s pollution levels would horrifically surpass the permitted amounts and the city would be forced to put out health hazard warnings almost daily for months on end, especially in the winter.

anyway, just a consideration to keep in mind, especially if you have any health issues like asthma, allergies or lung disease, or if you want to avoid having them in the future.

just my two cents on schools after living here for a looong time: the german, swiss or french schools are WAY better than the rich-brat-filled american school, and your kids will learn a third language to boot! they are extremely hard to get into, however…

Posted: 31 May 2009 07:46 AM   [ # 21 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2009-05-27

Nacozari—How far from the city center do you need to be to escape the smog? What neighborhoods do you recommend?

Posted: 08 September 2009 12:04 PM   [ # 22 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-08-18
forind - 07 September 2009 05:33 PM

hi whats latest inputs regarding stay in madrid..
my friend is moving there for 2 months…
I would like to give him some suggestions so pls help…

If you gave some more info I could help a bit more.

Is he going to be working?  If so, in what area.
If it’s tourist stuff, what does he like, partying, museums, sightseeing.

Is he going alone or with a family.

What is his budget.

Posted: 09 November 2009 05:40 AM   [ # 23 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2009-04-21

Actually I heard only the best things about Madrid - people tend to be in general more friendly/open minded etc than the rest of spain????

Signature 

Spanish Schools in Barcelona

Posted: 03 March 2010 10:01 AM   [ # 24 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-03-03

The warm welcome given by the staff at this lovely Catalonia Las Cortes hotel, was in perfect counterpoint to the chilliness of the weather outside, after all it was February! Rooms are both stylish and comfortable with all the amenities one would expect in a 4 star hotel. The only downside was that the air conditioning was a little loud, however we did have this turned on to full during the night. The location is perfect for visiting the museums and art galleries and it was apparent that the area will become lively and buzzing come the onset of Spring. Even in snowy February it has a good vibe.

Signature 

Playa del Carmen weddings

Posted: 19 May 2010 04:24 PM   [ # 25 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-05-19
wendone - 16 October 2007 05:55 PM

International school of Spain is situated in La Moraleja. La Moraleja is considered as one of the best districts to live in(also one of the most expensive)

La moraleja is also the place where David Beckham used to live:-)

I was saw that La Morakeja is the best place to live in Madrid. It was so expensive but more cool atmosphere than other place. So I would to decide that If I will afford money for it differently I will be there. I like so much….

Signature 

iedge

Posted: 17 June 2010 05:38 PM   [ # 26 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-06-17

I’m moving to Madrid in August. I’ve been there on a (very busy) familiarisation trip for three days a few weeks ago. This brief visit is the only experience I’ve had of Madrid or of Spain in general.

Now I need to decide where to live. I’m not setting up permanent residence, this will be for one or two years.

Signature 

cheap holidays to magaluf | levis jeans

Posted: 25 March 2011 10:22 PM   [ # 27 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-03-25

Salamanca   is the best of all

Posted: 28 May 2011 05:40 PM   [ # 28 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

trisswines….

Lovely neighbourhood & got everything very close to my place.

Very close eh?

Your IP address geo-locates to the DELHI area of INDIA.

Last time I checked, Madrid was nowhere near DELHI… it’s about 4575 miles away in fact.

It is a pre-requisite of membership of this form that subscribers do not SPAM the forum with totally irrelevant garbage…

I have deleted some of your posts and reported the others for deletion.

If you have something useful to contribute please feel free to do so, but please remove the Spam link from your signature.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 14 May 2013 03:58 PM   [ # 29 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2013-05-14

May be you will find some answers in this website http://www.thenotebookmadrid.com/moving_to_madrid/housing/estate_agencies.html

< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3