Which Movil service should I got with?
Posted: 17 October 2007 02:24 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-09-16

I will be teaching Enlgish to non-native speakers while I live in Madrid (for 9 months). I will need a phone so that my students and friends (in Spain) can get a hold of me and vice versa. My question is which company I should go with? I would like to just get a plan that allows me a certain amount of minutes every month, but I am finding that this is difficult to achieve since most companies have a pay for each minute used type of plan. There are some plans that give me a certain number of minutes a month, but this is only between a certain time of the day, and the rest of it is pay as you use. If anyone can suggest the better company or a plan I should go with I would really appreciate it.

P.S. I will also want to call back to the States and I will probably use a phone card, can anyone suggest one that gives me the most minutes for my money?

Posted: 17 October 2007 08:50 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

How are you going to get a contract plan if you’re an American without a work visa (and likely without NIE, correct?). More importantly, why would you want to unless you’re REALLY going to rack up the minutes. Pay as you go is cheap and works well for most people in Spain. If it’s only 9 months then I don’t think you have any other option.

And no doubt get Vodafone. You read our article on mobile phones in Spain right?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 20 October 2007 04:23 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

have movistar and fine lot cheaper the outhers companys and it top up phone just top up via my bank account online ( spanish bank )

Posted: 20 October 2007 05:54 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Why dont you check their websites and see whats on offer?

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 22 October 2007 08:01 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

I would definitely go for pay-as-you-go for your mobile.  Vodafone recently had a deal with which you could buy a sim card for ?24 - and it came with ?30 worth of calls.  Check your phone is tri-band, and unlocked before you fly; I don’t know if that’s a problem in the US but with most UK phones you normally need an unlocking code, which you can get from a back-street phone shop for ?15 or something. Otherwise it might be worthwhile buying a cheap ‘phone in Europe - a simple one won’t cost much.  I have Vodafone in Spain and it’s fine, although coverage in our mountain area is better with MoviStar. Spanish friends mostly say go with MoviStar for that reason. For calling the US, you should maybe look into Skype if you can get access to a computer in your job or even in a cybercafe.  I used Skype from a cafe in Almeria last week and only paid ?1 for 40 minutes computer access, the call itself being free.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 23 October 2007 05:02 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

vodafone lot my tel no. and sold it on as i was not been useding (was out spain for over 6 months , now i was at fault but think would give new no. and keep me on , now with movistar and would move for love are momey
bought chip for 6 euros and got 30 euros free calls

your phone need to be a GSM phone in EU
just get unlocked befor you come here to spain are get a website do for free and problem just pm me and i do for you
jurdy

Posted: 07 December 2007 03:47 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

I think any of the providers will be fine for the Madrid area.

My own personal experience in Granada province is that I find the best reception and coverage is with Movistar. Granted, it might not be the cheapest of the providers, but I never lose a signal often and that’s definately important to me when I’m out in the sticks working!!

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 11 December 2007 07:33 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-12-04

I did Apelcom while I was there, if you are from the states its a sweet deal cause its 9 cents a minute to call back there or around spain and you just put down a deposit for the phone so you arent stuck with it when you leave (and you get your money back)