1 of 3
Is telefonica really that bad?
Posted: 23 October 2007 08:34 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2007-06-08

Seeing there is a seperate forum for this, I was wondering:

Sure, Telefonica is expensive, but this bad?

Lately, we were getting more and more dropping of our adsl during and after rain.
One call to telefonica had a technician at our place the next day. Him realizing it was a major job, he fixed it the best he could.
The next day he came back to put whole new cabling in from the junction box at the beginning of the street. Ended up almost a full day?s work for three people! (ok, at a spanish pace.)

The first time we got connected, it took a whole 3 days to recieve their usb thingy in the mail. One phone call later i had the username/pwd combo, and of we were…

I have more examples, generally to do with an afterservice i am quite impressed with.

Is it location within Spain? Would the south be a little more laid back?

Posted: 28 October 2007 02:16 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

I think locations may make a difference. We live near Granada.

We?ve had good and bad, although I would point out that they?re probably no worse than BT back in the UK in all honesty. There are more service providers coming on the scene so it?s always worth “shopping around” for what package is best for your needs.

When we first had our phone line installed, phoned them on a Monday and they had the line installed by the Wednesday. Quite a quick turnaround there, so a big tick there.

Having had the phone installed ok, we wanted to connect to the internet. ADSL via a landline is unavailable in our village as yet, so went for basic dialup. Happily enough they set up our account and gave us the number to dial through the modem. First bill came and to our horror, we were being charged the monthly subscription AND the calls via the modem, to the tune of over ?400. We challenged this and it turns out they gave us the wrong number to dial. They did refund the incorrectly charged amount and gave us the correct number, after initially saying it was our fault and that they coul?nt have given us the incorrect number!!

Following bills then made little sense and did not correspond correctly to the calls we made and in the end we changed our calls to Europa, and just pay line rental to Telefonica. Since we changed to Europa, the calls are far cheaper, especially for UK calls, and we get a seperate number people from UK can call us at UK local rate.

My parents moved to a country property earlier this year. They already have an antiquated DOMO satallite phone system installed. We enquired about upgrading this to enable ADSL as well as a better phone system, having already looked into the packages on their websites they offered, we knew that “rural” systems were available “countrywide”, with “free” installation. Basically, when I called them they said it was?nt available yet, which is in fact rubbish. They basically were?nt interested in helping. I?ve heard it suggested though, that although they “offer” rural packages, they sometime pick & choose clients they want to help - this I hear from Spanish friends of mine, not just fellow Brits. From there I requested basic dialup internet for my parents. This did?nt work at all so was cancelled. Again, billing was incorrect and they charged for an engineers visit which did?nt even take place.

Net result, my parents are also using Europa for their calls, just paying line rental to Telefonica, but are still without any form of internet. At present we?re both looking at Iberbanda who offer ADSL internet and telephone systems at a reasonable price, via a dish. Going by the website, virtually everywhere can get it. Once we?re set up, I?ll post to let everyone know how they compare.

In the long run, I think that with newer service providers coming into the market, Telefonica is going to have to pull their finger out, or lose alot of business. I think that prices for ADSL will gradually come down. It?s a bit like it was in the UK a few years ago. BT held a monopoly, more providers came on the scene, competition grew between companies and prices came down. It?s bound to happen here too, may just take a few more years is all.

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 28 October 2007 01:23 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-08

I guess we?ve got a bit waiting for us then.
The truth is, that after we move iam thinking about Orange for their services. But seeing the hardware is still in the hands of telefonica,
you can?t completely forget about them.
We are thinking to go with Orange in our next place. Does anyone have experience with them?

Other thing: I?ve tried to find this “Europa” , but I seem to end up in Brussels with every google search I do…
Could you give me some more info on that?

Posted: 28 October 2007 07:39 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Hola,

I think you are looking for:

http://www.europa-network.com

as per their ad in the local paper - but I cant get it to connect - says something about their service ??

Maybe Telefonica are not so bad ??

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 28 October 2007 07:46 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-08

Mmmm, too bad, sounded really nice…

BTW, their website is dead as well.

Posted: 28 October 2007 08:19 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Try again tomorrow - I know people who have dealt with them but at the end of the day the big boys (if you are prepared to pay the price) win! Which is a shame because us small businesses do offer service and value

PS our web site works!!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 28 October 2007 08:24 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-08
ROBI - 28 October 2007 08:19 PM

Try again tomorrow - I know people who have dealt with them but at the end of the day the big boys (if you are prepared to pay the price) win! Which is a shame because us small businesses do offer service and value

PS our web site works!!

I was talking about http://www.europa-network.com/ , doesn?t seem to be working

Posted: 09 December 2007 07:39 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-12-06

I have used 4 ADSL suppliers over the years and Telefonica has been the better out of them all for me. I am in town so am close to the node and so have no problems with connection speed, if fact Telefonica is the only company I have used where the speed is actually close to what I have contracted… OK, you will get the odd day where it may be slow or be connection problems but this happens with them all and they do work on the lines at times don’t forget.

You need to remember that the further away you are from the node the more impact there is on the broadband, so if you are contracted to 3Mb BB and are 5 Klms away from the node the speed will not be like what you will get 1 Klm from the node.

Telefonica have there problems, including their attitude at times but one other ‘well know’ company actually tried to blatanly deceive me and my bank on several occasions… and this was after putting the matter in the hands of the consumer. This other company took up and wasted my time to such an extent I was on the verge of contacting the local TV company… beleive me, Telefonica are not as bad as some of the others.

Remember when you sign up to Telefonica or any other company you are contracted to a minimum of 1 years service unless otherwise advised, it doesn’t make any difference if you put the service in baja or not… you will be charged for 1 year, but then you read that didn’t you? 😊

I would also advise to get a router and not a USB modem for your connection as the router will give more speed and generally doesn’t need pain in the *** software to use with it as many modems do.

If you use a Mac then it is a sinch to set up a router and telefonica 24/7 ADSL, just set up your network for automatic, set to DHCP and then save. After a second you will be connected.

Posted: 29 January 2008 10:05 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2007-10-02

Telefonica in Malaga province is terrible. I have been living here for 8 years and I can safely say they are a complete disaster.

I have been involved with

Home moves
Office moves
Office installations

And they have messed things up more often than not. Smooth operations are rare.

Just for information I work in a Real Estate company in Estepona, M?laga. We deal mainly with property sales and rentals in this area.
Property Estepona

Signature 

Rentals Estepona - Apartments, Townhouses and Villas for rent in Estepona.
Satellite Sotogrande - Satellite Installations in Sotogrande and the Costa del Sol.

Posted: 30 January 2008 02:25 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

Well when Telefonica dose work , It works vey well , moving , Homes Offices , yes that can be a problem got BT, EIRCOM(Irish telphone company)  losted my dsl few times , now run over 300 dsl line in spain , Uk , Ireland and Swedeen aswell so manybe i have bite off power with the phone comanys , do wish i could used one company for it all but cheap , not splashing out big amounts off cash for a system . Ha i have to make a living aswell , some one has to pay the bills

jurdy

Posted: 25 February 2008 10:56 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2007-07-10

Hope someone can help:

Is the north (Gerona area) more advanced with internet connections/coverage than other parts or south spain? And how can one find out where is th closest ‘node’? Are most of your bad experiences based on smaller towns as I am assuming the cities are rather ‘safer’ than rural areas?  I need to rent retail premises in Gerona city soonish (ful functioning adsl is a must) and am seriosuly starting to worry..

Thanks for info

Claudio

Posted: 26 February 2008 08:40 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

why not go and get the ADSL USB via one off the Mobile phone companys , it a Internet Movil 3G unit
plug in to you laptop

Posted: 12 September 2008 04:18 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

Since Joining with telefonica November 2007 I have had nothing but Internet Connection Problems…. I call it the 10min Drop out!
After speaking many many many times with Technical department they say it DISTANCE PROBLEMS TO THE EXCHANGE!!!!

Yeap you guessed it they blamed me for being so far away from the exchange!!! I live in SALOU!!!

Never mind they want to refund the money now since my Solicitor wrote them a letter…
Amazing with force things get done!!!

Posted: 17 October 2008 02:14 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-06-11

Regarding saving money on phone calls. The undoubted best deal available is http://www.tcwmobiletalk.com go to their website, have a look it is a company that has been doing this for 3 years and offers up to 90% saving on international calls on both your landline and your mobile. There are 1000?s using it both personal and business. You get a free trial of up to 15 minutes and are not committed to anything. No contracts etc. If you are wanting internet and a landline http://www.tcw.es can offer a very good cheap solution but it is down to where you are. You need to be in the network coverage area and have line of site to an access point. The main area is from Mijas (Mountain) to Cancelada.

Posted: 15 November 2008 03:28 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-11-15

I use a great company that offers alsorts of ways to connect to the internet and cheap calls try

http://www.telitec.com

Posted: 20 December 2008 07:43 AM   [ # 15 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-12-20
vetlel - 23 October 2007 08:34 PM

Seeing there is a seperate forum for this, I was wondering:

Sure, Telefonica is expensive, but this bad?

Lately, we were getting more and more dropping of our adsl during and after rain.
One call to telefonica had a technician at our place the next day. Him realizing it was a major job, he fixed it the best he could.
The next day he came back to put whole new cabling in from the junction box at the beginning of the street. Ended up almost a full day?s work for three people! (ok, at a spanish pace.)

The first time we got connected, it took a whole 3 days to recieve their usb thingy in the mail. One phone call later i had the username/pwd combo, and of we were…

I have more examples, generally to do with an afterservice i am quite impressed with.

Is it location within Spain? Would the south be a little more laid back?

If you live up in the mountains or maybe near Heidi, Telefonica can be a pain, I live in a town in Alicante and i will have fibre optica soon…....I have internet at 5 mb?s….........so for me they are fast and competant…......as for (spanish pace), please dont even go there…dont put everyone in the same sack, my hubby is a spanish constructor and works his arse off, builds luxury villas in no time at all and at fantastic standards. Sorry the guy that came to you was from the snail family, Perhaps you should learn to speak Spanish, its amazing how things go quicker and smoother. I speak fluent Spanish after being here for 25 years and i dont get snails working in my house and i wouldnt accept slackers!!!!!neither would my hubby and nor should you!

1 2 3 > 
1 of 3