Becoming Autonomo while maintaining a regular job
Posted: 26 October 2007 05:10 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-10-26

Hi,
I currently have a job contract in Madrid, and have Social Security (Seguridad Social) number and the company is paying my SS.
I want to register as Autonomo to do some after hours freelance work from home - without quitting my daytime job.
Questions:
Would I still have to pay the ~250 EUR seguridad social (since my company is already paying it)?
How much does a tax license cost in Madrid - anybody knows?
Thanks

Posted: 26 October 2007 07:15 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Did you mean taxI licence ?? If so let me know because my Spanish brother in law is a taxi driver/owner in Madrid.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 26 October 2007 07:17 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-27

Sorry also meant to say…........

I dont think (??) the system is geared for to be both employed and self employed at the same time!! If the part time stuff is very casual why not just do it and if you are that keen to pay tax do a Declaracion de Renta and declare it.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl

Posted: 26 October 2007 07:24 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-10-26

1. No, I didn’t mean taxi license. 😊
2. If a client would need a VAT (IVA) Invoice for my services, I believe I wouldn’t be able to issue it unless I was registered as Autonomo. Am I right, or wrong?

Posted: 27 October 2007 01:06 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-27

OK now I think we are getting into the area of needing professional gestoria advice because I think its complicated!

My Spanish wife has tried to explain it to me - and (I think!!) you do have an option of NOT adding IVA to your invoice but she thinks that some companies may not then want to use your services ie big companies are geared to work with big suppliers with IVA on every invoice. It seems to depend on what you do, how much you are doing and the type of clients you will have. Some might even prefer no IVA!

Looks like time to find a good gestoria! 

I think there are some on this site….................

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl

Posted: 20 February 2008 01:18 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2006-12-15

I have a friend who is in the same situation - working full-time and wants to do some work on the side but wants to know the legalities of it so they don’t get hit with a big tax or SS bill later. This is what I found on Yahoo Espa?a repuestas (yahoo answers in Spain).

1. You have to declare all the income you receive on la declaracion de la renta.

2. You have to register as a professional or small business with hacienda (tax office) which means that you are obliged to declare tri-monthly.

3. If the annual income you receive from the outside activity is more than the basic wage in Spain, you also have to pay social security as an autonomo.

Does anyone have any experience of this or know if this information is correct? Probably my friend will just work under the table for a while as he’s got the SS already, but it’s good to know where you stand just in case.

Posted: 21 November 2008 04:21 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-11-13

You can register yourself as a se. or sc. company - which doesnt take anything to set up. then you can give out invoices and charge IVA to your hearts content. the only downside to that is that you have to declare to the hacienda your earnings, including your normal job and will have to pay tax accordingly. but there is many different tax reliefs you can apply for too.

Signature 

Property Building & Construction in Spain. Commercial, Residential, Kitchens, Bathrooms, Tiling, AC, Roofing, Garages, Doorways, Plastering, Electrics