Starting an editing/proofreading company in Granada
Posted: 29 October 2007 06:15 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-10-29

Hi everyone! This is my first post, but I have been reading this great website for some time.

My wife and I are planning on moving to Granada from New York in July as autonomos.  I am currently a high school English teacher and work part time (private contractor) as a website editor.  I plan on continuing my job as editor as well as creating a proofreading and editing company in Granada.  Does anyone know if there is much of a need for this, especially in that area?  Is this a business that would be effective as “in person” or do I need to make it web based?  From what I understand it’s okay for only one of us to register as autonomo, but both of us need to pay into social security—is this accurate?  Finally, is it a “rubber stamp” (so to speak) for an American to be granted autonomo?  Or is there more difficulties beyond the registration requirements?

Thanks so much!!!

Matt & Kabrina

Posted: 29 October 2007 09:26 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

well if you have Dsl(the net via Broadband )  you have no problem with doing it from any place here in Spain you work from and two any where spain and the Usa

try keep you Usa bussines as will keep you in momey but the doller is weak think we getting 1.43 doller for the 1 euro

Posted: 30 October 2007 06:37 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2007-06-01

Hi Matt and Kabrina,

Regarding the proofreading, actually not sure if theres a massive market for it, but saying that, there are a few expat magazines/booklets (English) out here and to be perfectly honest, when I?ve read them I have noticed some grammatical and spelling mistakes so maybe they could do with someone like you.  Was going to offer my services, as used to do proofreading myself (strangely enough), but way too busy with kiddies at the mo!  Names of the magazines and booklets don?t spring to mind at the mo, but will dig them out.

Whereabouts are you moving to in Granada?  In the city or outside?  We live in Monachil.

Hope all goes well.

Bye for now,

Alicia

Posted: 30 October 2007 07:42 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-10-29

Thanks for everyone’s responses!

I see that there may be a market for this service and hopefully we can make something work! 

Thanks again guys.