How CND’s in EU on tourist visa switch to lengthy work visas
Posted: 19 November 2007 07:48 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2007-10-21

How CND’s in EU on tourist visa switch to lengthy work visas

If anyone here arrived in Europe (from North America) on a tourist visa, and successfully acquired a lengthy extended visa, allowing them to work in any European country, for any period, then please share your story, and experience here.  Thank you.

My story:

I am in Europe on a tourist visa (expires Feb 1st, 2008), and I’d like to start working as soon as I have my legal EU papers.  I’d like to stay, and teach in Europe for a period of 1-2 years (in different European countries, including the new ones).  I am Canadian, and qualified, and experienced to teach English.

I realize working illegaly is possible in Spain, but 3 months in Europe just won’t cut it.  I need the freedom to be able to move around Europe.  One month here, 2 months there, working and traveling my way across the continent.

I estimate it will take at least 2 years, so I need a visa, or renewable visa that’ll last that long.  I’m not sure what I’m eligible for? I will accept the best visa I can get. But what are my options? Student, work, business, ??? What’s the difference? I’ve heard student visas allow part-time work. How long do these visas last, and do they apply for extended stay in all the Schengen countries?

A few notes to remember.  I can’t afford an expensive visa? I don’t have international medical health insurance, only Canadian provincial health insurance.  I, of course have access to a credit, and debit card, and don’t mind taking a physical eximination (if it’s neccesasry).