Is there a max age of import car
Posted: 02 October 2006 03:28 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-10-02

Hi there…just a quick one, is there a maximum age for a car to import into Spain.
Something is nagging me that its either 10 or 8 years old…but I cant find anywhere on the net that states this so I might be imagining it.
Cheers
Steve

Posted: 16 October 2006 10:37 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-10-16

Hi fink,

I reached the final stages of registering my 20 year old car without any restrictions showing up. They then demanded a bill of sale from a commercial vendor with a VAT (IVA) number and given me 10days!  No chance of that.  I will let you know how I get on.

Posted: 31 October 2006 01:34 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2006-10-02

If you have owned the car for 1 year they have no right to ask for the vat papers, get a good Gestoria, saves money and time in the short and long term. Any car any age can be imported.

Posted: 08 November 2006 01:11 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-10-16

My 20 year old car now has now been registered.  The process is complicated (too many documents) and therefore error prone but everyone involved in the process was very helpful.  It took an elapse time of 2 months!  I took the DIY route because of the age of the car and need to find competent technical people.
  I have learnt a lot and I am not sure a gestoria could have helped.

The main problem with old cars is lack of familiarity with the type and lack of spares (eg headlamp glasses).  The pre-ITV check did not throw up any problems but should have.  It is a lot easier to buy a new car than import one!

Posted: 11 January 2007 07:54 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-08-03

Can anyone recommend a good english-speaking gestor in or near Valencia?  I am having my car shipped from New York to Valencia next month and want to find someone who can help me, preferably with availability by internet and email.  Thanks!