need help with pay as you go cel phone and internet access
Posted: 10 February 2008 05:52 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-02-10

Hi, I really need information on using my pay as you go phone and obtaining internet access through it.  I have t-mobile here in the states and have my phone unlocked. when in spain, i simply intall my movistar chip and i use my phone.  I only need to check my hotmail account and maybe browse though some sites for news and shopping from time to time, but thats not absolutely necessary.  I mainly want to use it to access my hotmail account.  does anyone know if i can do this and how using my pay as you go account.

thanks.

Posted: 10 February 2008 04:38 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

I think it would be a lot easier and cheaper to use an internet cafe!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 10 February 2008 06:53 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-02-10

yes, i already know that and I do use the internet cafe during the days if and when i’m able to get into one. but in the evenings I’m home alone with a two year old, who sleeps early and wouldn’t mind surfing the net while she’s asleep.

Posted: 10 February 2008 09:51 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

with gmail you get you emails sent to you phone , never do it as laptop are computer is near think do same with hotmail now adays , there a cost for this i think are get a p.d.a.  unit that many help , cel phone rates are not cheap here in spain

Posted: 21 February 2008 04:44 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-02-21

Hi, I read one of this site’s articles about Internet service in Spain and then I saw this question. I too have a follow-up question. I am in the process of renting an apartment either in the Costa Blanco or Costa Almeria/Sol area. I am finding that no apartments come with Internet access and that most landlords are not very helpful in making it happen, mostly b/c it seems you have to install a telephone land-line to get Internet service.

I’m happy to pay the monthly fees for Internet service while i’m living there but it seems I’d also have to pay for installation, equipment, ect., which I think would be costly but ultimately besides the point as no one seems willing to even place the order for me. So my question is, how the hell can I get home Internet service while I’m in Spain?

I don’t want to rely on Internet cafes because I need real access. I don’t understand, it’s as if “vacationing” Spanairds and Brits even don’t need home Internet service? I’m going to be there for two months. Having Internet service is as essential to modern-day living as indoor plumbing. What the heck is the deal? Anyway, that’s off-point I guess as all I really need to know is how I can get service. I have a wifi laptop. Is there a card or something I could buy for my laptop, sort of like cell phone SIM cards, that would then allow me access through a local ISP, without doing the whole land-line telephone jig?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Nicole Duran, USA

Posted: 21 February 2008 11:37 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

well you get a top up phone for all main cell companys as in Internet ...... two ways off doing think as in emails get you self a BlackBerry but need to surf the net you need a A USB modem , photo is included off this unit wich is plug in t the labtop
any phone store will have then .....BUt think you have to sing up for 12 months , not sure .  3.6 mb work out at 36 euros per month

jurdy

Posted: 31 March 2008 02:44 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2008-03-18

You can get a PCMCIA 3G Card or a USB 3G Modem to connect to internet from notebook over GSM 3G network. Try to find a unlocked or free model so you can insert any chip. if you need to stay for long then get a contract (Without device associated to contract, so you can cancel without penalization), otherwise get a prepaid card. Movistar has different plans for data, if you need to use it often, there’s a plain plan, “Tarifa plana sin limites”,it’s 56?/Month.

Also a nice solution is to use your mobile phone as modem, most of current 3G models do this job, you need to install software that’s with the mobile to get connected. In case you’re going to use mobile phone, then get the datacable instead of using bluetooth, this keeps connection safer, faster and batteries will long for more time.

Regards