Mobile Sim Card
Posted: 29 February 2008 07:05 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-02-23

Hi,
  I have just been thinking and I will need a Spanish sim card (PAY As You Go) in order to keep my phonebil down.  I will be making a lot of local calls (eg. in spain) and the odd internation (eg. uk).

Could anyone recommend a network that would be benifical and where the cheapest place to buy one.

I wont need a phone as my phone is unlocked and has tri-band technology.

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards
Matt

Signature 

MSC Insure number 1 for motor and house insurance for expats in Spain

Posted: 29 February 2008 07:32 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

There are 3 main players:

Movistar (ie BT) mobile network = Movistar

Orange (ex Amena)

Vodaphone

Everybody has a theory who is best!

Coverage varies - probably Movistar has the most masts.

Shop around - check the deals on the day. SIM cards are virtually free as they come with free call vouchers on a good day!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 29 February 2008 07:49 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-02-23

I will be living in Totana and will spend alot of time in Costa Del Sol. So I would imagine Moviestar would be the better option then

Signature 

MSC Insure number 1 for motor and house insurance for expats in Spain

Posted: 29 February 2008 09:44 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

Well in spain there 4 network and all run the same coverage
1 movistar ( thay owned by Telefonica , in ture own O2 in Uk )
2Vodafone , 3 orange 4 TeliaSonera the last one company is a carrie for likes off Yoigo, Carfour , ono and El court del ingles tel phone company
have found you get a chip from 4 euros to 8 euros then you top it up via supermarkets are you bank , bill phone are on cheap rate , buy topping up you will pay 17 cent cheap rate and 6 am to 4 pm you pay 60 - 70 cent text will cost 17 cent are per buy and get it cheap
that on vodafone and orange networks feb 17 2008
more on phonehouse.es
jurdy

Posted: 20 March 2008 01:15 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2008-03-18

If you plan to stay for long time (a few months) or travel to/from spain a lot, perhaps best solution would be a contract with Movistar and apply the “Mi Gente” and “Daily Roaming” bonus. With this your calls to the select country will be at a very cheap rate, and when you’re outside spain, incoming roaming calls will be at 1?/Day instead of having to pay for each received call when you’re in a roaming zone. Only inconvenient for this is that you need bank account in spain. You can also get prepaid card and apply these two bonus, but the calls won’t be that cheap. 

If you get the contract without a GSM device, you don’t have the any penalization if you cancel the line, so my best advice if you are going to use it for less than 18 months is get a unlocked or free gsm phone and make the contract without including any gsm phone.

As a final comment, Movistar, Orange & Vodafone are the main operators in spain, other company’s like yoigo, simyo, etc are type-2 operators who don’t have their own infrastructure but use the one from main operator, basically reselling minutes of air. Type 2 normally are cheaper calls if you call between the same operator, but expensive if you call other operators or other country’s.