Using phone and broadband at the same time (microfilters)
Posted: 03 March 2008 09:45 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-01-17

Hi, i have a telefonica line and internet connection. It apparently has a microfilter but unlike microfilters in england it has only one socket not two. 
A microfilter is used to split analogue(phone) signals and digital (broadband) signal so that both can utilise the same bandwidth.

If the spanish microfilters only have one connector then how can it do this.

The reason I am asking is when someone calls us and we pick up the phone we lose internet, which points me to the filters.

Can you get filters like in the uk in spain that actually work, and does anyone know why the filters from telefonica dont.  They look more like an rj11 adaptor than a microfilter but it definitely says microfilter on it.

Any comments welcomed.

Thanks

Posted: 04 March 2008 12:06 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I had this problem too, but then I realized I had the filter plugged into the DSL instead of into the phone’s line. It’s supposed to filter out the DSL signal, so plug it into the phone’s connection, not the DSL. At least that’s what I remember.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 04 March 2008 12:56 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

We have Telefonica ADSL with their supplied router.

We have a double socket connected into the incoming line socket in the wall.

From 1 port we connect the router

From the other port we connect the phone with the Telefonica supplied filter gizmo into which the phone is connected.

Everything works fine.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 05 March 2008 09:23 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-01-17

Hi I have a four port plug plugged directly into the main phone socket, and into that four port plug I have the router and the phone via a filter.

Because these filters only have one connector and as previously said isolate one signal, I have no alternative way of configuring it.

If i plug it into the wall, and plug the four port plug into the filter, this will not allow phone calls.

Can you not buy microfilters like in the uk?

Thanks

Posted: 05 March 2008 11:05 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Yes you can buy microfilters in the Telefonica shops, Chinese bazaars, good elec shops etc…...........Telefonica usually supply 2 or 3 at installation time or try and chat up your friendly local engineer!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

‹‹ Web standards      Mobile Broadband ››