English TV’s in Spain
Posted: 23 March 2008 05:54 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-12-08

Hi,
I hope to move to Spain in a couple of months and can’t sell my TV’s in the UK, even though they are good models. I decided to bring them over with me but heard somewhere that English TV’s won’t work properly in Spain, something to do with the signals, you receive either only the picture no sound or the other way round. Can anyone please confirm this, is it pointless bringing my TV’s over?
Please advise.
Cheers AL

Posted: 23 March 2008 06:57 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

ok it the sound that has the problem as we used new technology in Eu it called duel subcarries uk work on 5.5maga and spain used 6 magas , that why you have 2/3/4/5/6 audio channels , so you can watch the movies in Spanish, and original audio but way around this my have set top box and useding the euro scart lead you shound have no problems your useding a Digital on this lead (scart to scart 21 pin lead . Now aday all tv have 2- 3 scart inputs and 1 rca input aswell ( link to a cam )

jurdy

if you have the make and model and year Private Messages to me and i look up what you have to do

Posted: 25 March 2008 02:23 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2007-06-11

If the TVs are relatively modern, say 2/3 years old, it is likely you can get into the installer menu and select the PAL system you require ( for the UK it is PAL I, and for Spain it is PAL G),  however if you intend to install Sky you will be receiving via the satellite digi box, and therefore will use a scart lead, or the SKY box RF output which will be correct system for a UK TV.

If you intend to have spanish TV, just get a Spanish Terrestrial Digibox and connect with the scart and again you should have no problems.

Signature 

Mike

Posted: 21 April 2008 11:56 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-10-01

Have a look at the install menu or setup on your TV.

You should be able to adjust video and audio tuner standard.

My TV purchased about 4 years ago simplify it by selecting the language you want (user interface), then the country you wish to receive TV signal in.

TV’s sold these days do NOT have differences for being sold in different EU countries other than prehaps the plug.

It just not cost effective to have multiple models anymore for different territories.

Mind you the quality of spanish TV is very poor (transmission quality).

I purchased a freeview box from Lidl (?25) and now receive cristal clear pictures, this is off course hocked up via scart socket, so I cant say I have used the TV tuner side of TV in many many months.

So unless you are really want to ditch your TV I would suggest you hang onto it.

Robin…

Posted: 22 April 2008 04:51 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-04-22
robin - 21 April 2008 11:56 AM

I purchased a freeview box from Lidl (?25) and now receive cristal clear pictures, this is off course hocked up via scart socket, so I cant say I have used the TV tuner side of TV in many many months.

Robin…

Hi Robin
As a matter of interest I take it that your freeview box is attached to a satellite dish?
Graham

Posted: 22 April 2008 04:59 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-01

Hi

No the freeview box picks up TV via the normal aerial.

I have a skybox for satellite which uses a dish.

thanks

robin..

Posted: 22 April 2008 05:08 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-04-22

Hi Robin
I have a satellite dish with twin LNB. I used a skybox on one and a Sivercrest SL65 DVB freeview box which I tuned into Astra on the other. I bought the SL65 from Lidl. Is this the same freeview box that you are referring to? If not could you let me have the details?
Thanks
Graham

Posted: 22 April 2008 05:30 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-01

Hi Graham

Lidl 2 2 boxes, they look identical except for whats on the back, they are the SL65T & SL65S.

The T is for terrestrial the other for satellite.

The terristrial has the coax connector for aerial the satellite has the F type connector for a satellite cable.

hope this helps

robin..

Posted: 22 April 2008 06:05 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Listen guys I consider myself pretty clued up with PCs etc - but TV is losing me!

I have Spanish TV from an aerial (yeah I know cave technology) but my question is: If I buy a Lidl box for the free channels and connect it to the aerial how/why does the picture quality improve if the actual receptor is the same??

(Its nice to be asking the questions for once!)

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 22 April 2008 07:27 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-01

Hi

Because the freeview is a digital transmission.

You get much better than the standard analogue signal (ie standard tuner) & since the spanish analogue is so bad, you will notice a huge improvement in signal.

Its like vinyl & CD’s.

With vinyl it pops & splutters all the time if there is any problem with the media.

Be sure that the box you pick up is a freeview & not a satelitte box as they do look the same except for the back.

Robin…

Posted: 22 April 2008 08:36 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-04-22

Hi Robin
So does the aerial have to be one specific for the digital transmissions? I can’t use a standard (?analogue) spanish TV aerial with the usual 2 signal amplifiers attached?
And do I have to find out where the nearest digital transmittor is and point the aerial to it?
thanks
Graham

Posted: 22 April 2008 08:48 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-01

Hi

I just plugged it and it worked.

Digital (freeview) does require a good signal but until you try you wont really know.

You can get better aerial in leroy / brico house etc etc without problems.

Where I live no idea where transmitter is but it worked fine.

It takes about 5 min to scan all the frequencies (the channels they seem to be all up at the end of the scan), first time i did it I though oh dear then in the last few seconds loads of channels appeared.

At end of day lidl plus other places have a return policy normally within 2 weeks to a month of purhcase so if not happy take it back.

good luck

robin…

Posted: 24 April 2008 11:38 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

I bought a Silver Crest DVD player from either Lidl or Aldi (cant remember which) for around 35 euros and it has been OK. So now I am going to try for the freeview box - another question comes to mind - are they not going to stop transmitting analog signals very soon?

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 24 April 2008 12:59 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-01

Hi

I have not heard on any plans to switch off analogue TV in Spain.

I guess it will happen eventually.

But not for some years.

Robin…

‹‹ Web standards      Cheap Part Time BROADBAND ››