non eu children
Posted: 20 May 2008 04:53 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-05-20

Hi there!

We are a family of 7 (myself/husband/5 young children) and are NZ citizens.  We have all applied for Spanish visas (for residency) as we are wanting to immigrate.  We have applied through the Spanish Consulate (which is in Australia they don’t have one for Visas in NZ, just to make it helpful ... not!), but we are still waiting to hear.  We applied back in September last year, and heard from them (being Spain via Australia) back in December, that they had a couple of more questions, which we answered speedily - since then nothing.

We have chased through the Consulate many, many times but all in vain.  We also have somebody in Spain, that has tried to get some answers for us (we have supplied them with reference numbers); the answer is that we must go back through the consulate of the originating country - so we are going around in circles.

We have sold our home, business and all our belongings are in storage (and have been for 5 months), while we stay with parents and wait for an answer.

There is possibly another way around this - which is WHERE I NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE .......
My husband is actually a British Citizen (by heritage), so although he is not residing in the the UK, I presume he could quite freely live and work in Spain?? And obtain an NIE number etc etc?
For myself, I could travel there initially as a visitor (3 months) and then apply for a temporary residency based on my marriage to an EU citizen?  Would that be the easiest?
BUT THE CHILDREN ??? - Our concern is getting them into schools if they are not residents, nor are they EU residents?  Again, do we just bring them in as visitors and then apply?  BUT how long would that take??
AND DO THEY NEED THEIR OWN NIE NUMBERS?  - I’ve read some conflicting forums on this. (the childrens ages are from 3 to 11)

Of course it would be a lot easier if we were just granted residency, but some 8 months later, having heard nothing we are just looking at other options, and if anybody could help us with this, we would appreciate it.

If we knew that my husband could easily enter and reside in Spain, and that the children could go to school we would be on a flight tomorrow!  There’s no point us turning up there, with 5 children, and having to turn around and come back to New Zealand!

(FYI, we are looking to reside and purchase a business in the Valencia region.)

Any help or advice would be awesome!  thanks :}