< 1 2
2 of 2
Spanish swearing
Posted: 05 October 2011 05:33 PM   [ # 16 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-08-18

Does anyone know the exact translation of Pendejo ? - how offensive is it, on scale of 0 - 10?

Also, Skonka?

I gather it means slut but is that a literal translation?

spanishswearing.com

Posted: 24 October 2011 04:56 PM   [ # 17 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

You might find this site useful: http://www.alternative-dictionaries.net/dictionary/Spanish/

Must say though, my “alternative” vocabulary has improved due to attending matches at Granada CF. There’s a 70’odd year old chap sits next to me, who has the same level of dismay for Spanish refereeing as I do.

He’s most animated and certainly most vocal when it comes to his thoughts in their direction! 😉

Spanish referees are truly the worst I’ve seen anywhere in the world though, it has to be said.

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 27 October 2011 01:29 PM   [ # 18 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2011-10-27

They say that it is good to know all of the swear words but never actually repeat any of them. Therefore what I write is merely for your information.

?Vete a la mierda! If you say this to a Spaniard they are not likely to talk to you again if you look like you mean it. It kind of translates as Go f+*k yourself…. definitively.

?Hijo de la gran puta! Also very offensive a very strong way of calling someone an SOB

?Que te den por culo! Also another expression to tell someone to go away involving a strong instruction that includes sex and travel in the same sentence

It is best to know them all however not recommended that visitors blurt them out in public unless it is amongst close friends who are the ones doing the teaching 😉

It is true that many Spaniards in passing use words like Co?o and joder but bear in mind that their tone and the context that they use them in generally give the impression that they are joking. In either case it is not seen as educated. Until you have a high level of Spanish it is probably not worth taking the risk by putting your new found swearing skills to the test. It is best to make friends first.

The funniest thing I heard was in a butchers stand in a market place in Alicante when a very serious looking german lady asked the attendant “Un kilo de polla por favor” She thought she was asking for a 1 Kg of Chicken (Pollo) In actual fact had asked for 1 Kg of Cock 😉

Signature 

Posted: 07 December 2011 09:04 PM   [ # 19 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-12-07

passionate people speak passionately 😉

Posted: 16 April 2012 01:39 AM   [ # 20 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2012-03-04

I’ve seen Spanish people flinch at the sound of ‘me cago en la concha de tu puta madre’! From what I’ve heard ‘me cago en….’ is commonly used for extreme annoyance / frustration.

Posted: 16 April 2012 06:04 PM   [ # 21 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Yeh, Richard, now that would be considered “muy fuerte”. 

I found this:

http://valdeperrillos.com/blogs/fape/riqueza-del-castellano-idioma-cojones

The word “cojones” and “co?o” are now used in everyday speech, without any connotations of the original meaning

You’ve heard the phrase: “The nearer the king, the nearer the knuckle”. 

So you will hear very well-educated people swear like troopers.  Down with “genteelism” heh heh.

Patricia

Posted: 20 June 2012 02:27 AM   [ # 22 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2012-06-10

This observation has probably been made many time.  I am amazed
at the silent onlookers on this forum.  this thread has 22 posts and almost
8000 views. 
  I was told that pendejo means pubic hair.

Posted: 03 July 2012 12:25 AM   [ # 23 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Pendejo.  Well, there’s the literal translation, pubic hair.

But I think, in general, it just means an “a**ehole”  or “d**khead”. 
Close enough to that general area too….lol.

P.

Posted: 05 July 2012 04:44 PM   [ # 24 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2011-09-15

With that induction, I now feel really well equipped for life in Spain !

Andrea

< 1 2
2 of 2