Considering move to Spain - anyone worked in an international school?
Posted: 07 November 2006 01:23 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-11-07

We are a US family considering a move to Spain (or Mexico - those are our top 2 right now) in a couple of years, so I’m making the rounds of various boards gathering information. Fortunately, I have dual citizenship with a new EU state and would be able to legally continue working in my freelance business and my husband would be able to get working papers, too.

My question is regarding international schools. Has anyone worked in an international school in Spain? My husband will be qualified as a teacher, but has concerns about not being competitive against UK citizens, despite the fact that he would be legal to work through me. Are British teachers preferred in Spain? Would there be any prejudice against having a male elementary school teacher (that will be his qualification)? He is studying bilingual and bicultural education, so presumably that would be a good selling point.

Also, do your children go to international schools or local Spanish schools? One of our daughters is in a Spanish immersion program already, so we are looking at schools that would be at least bilingual.

Thanks a lot in advance for any replies, and I look forward to reading the forums!