UK pension confirmation!
Posted: 09 June 2008 02:52 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2007-11-01

Since I became a UK pensioner five years ago my Spanish accountant has insisted that I get a certificate from the UK pension service confirming how much pension I received in the previous 12 months. Every year this has caused problems with numerous telephone calls to the UK office. This year I have phoned six times requesting this certificate and am still waiting after 10 days for a fax and follow up letter.

Can someone please confirm if they are required to produce this certificate every year whilst submitting their Spanish tax return! The reason I ask is that my accountant is adamant that every ex. pat. must get this certificate but the UK pension dept. claim that they are not asked for it very often.

Is my accountant just being too bureaucratic or what?

Posted: 10 June 2008 12:18 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Yes I think he is being very bureaucratic - when you sign the form you are in effect saying that is the true position - I know many pensioners who are not obtaining this form. By the way what exchange rate did he use to declare your pounds in euros?

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 10 June 2008 12:32 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2007-11-01

Thank you both for your input. I have since been in touch with my “Contable” who now has changed his mind. He is now requesting the amounts that were sent during 2007 in pounds sterling and what I received in my bank after the exchange rate in ?uros.

If there are any changes I will post again.

Posted: 10 June 2008 02:25 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

I have already posted on this so I dont want to bore everyone (did not get any replies) but so far I have heard of 3 methods (from friends) of setting an exchange rate - this can make a big difference to the final tax bill - I have a rearranged date with AEAT (hacienda) so I will post again later.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

‹‹ Tax on UK pension      Pay London to Barca ››