trying to find a way to obtain spanish citizenship
Posted: 12 November 2006 04:54 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-11-12

hi there,
i have been living as an expat in europe for many years just trying to make ends meet and now i would like to become a legal resident or citizen of the EU. Since I was born in Spain. i feel that this will be the easiest and independent way for me to do so. It is required that I live in Spain (registered) for 1 year and then i can apply for the passport. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should go about doing this? Is there any 1 year work programs that i can do to fufill this 1 year residence or something? I would really appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Being illegal sucks!

Thanks for the look (^0^)

Posted: 12 November 2006 11:01 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I think I’d need more information about your current legal status (current passport, etc) to give you an idea.

I THINK, not sure, but THINK, that if you were born here you should be able to figure out a way to live here for a year. Even if it’s illegally, at least you’ll have that year of living in Spain for your citizenship application (if that’s the way you want to go). Don’t forget to empadronarse.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 13 November 2006 02:54 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-11-12

Hello,

> Thank you sooo much for your response.

> My current legal status is that I have an amercian passport. I know
that
> Spain does not allow dual citizenship in my case but I would like to
go
> around renouncing my american passport if possible. So you said that
I
> can probably try to live in Spain for 1 year illegally as long as I
> register. How can I do this? They wouldn’t question the legality of it
> all if I went to a spanish lawyer to do the paperwork…or is there
> another way that I can go about it??

> Again, I really appreciate your input. Thanks so much for your
response.

> Best Regards,
> Fatima

Posted: 13 November 2006 08:37 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Fatima,

I highly suggest you talk to a lawyer in your case. There are other ways of staying in Spain for a year besides staying illegally.

I don’t mean that you can stay illegally as long as you register. I mean that you should register (empadronarse) at your local council which qualifies you for health benefits and provides you with proof of having been in the country for that long, which, as you said, if you need to be in Spain for a year you’ll need that kind of proof.

Hope that helps!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.